Grinding or slight shuttering/rubbing noise while braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben F

Reaction score
My 2003 expedition just recently started making these noises ONLY when I’m braking. It sounds like it’s coming from underneath but towards the rear not 100% because I’m driving and can’t see directly. Talk to a few people said it’s prolly the brake pads worn or rotors. I said def could be because it’s been over 5 years since I changed the rear ones. I just changed the front ones in August 2017 and do so more often. I’m clearly no expert but I took the wheel and caliper off and quite honestly I think the brake pads and rotors don’t seem in dire need, to me anyway, so any suggestions on what this could be? I dont want to drive it because it can’t be good but it’s my only car so I’m in a time crunch. This is the only wheel I’ve check though so far (driver side rear) see pictures below.

D3C152F6-1E23-47BE-AD89-E9EDE5BFA736.png

427D3FF8-88E1-4144-9A30-8E2B32EEA808.png

17775487-213A-482A-A91B-609A32DA284F.png

B64EE2DC-C004-49EB-921A-B04A18993EDD.png

Plati

Reaction score
I'm not a skilled mechanic but I've had a 2003 XLT since NEW and always changed my own brakes (rotors, pads, ebrake). I've had a lot of trouble with ebrake

Those rear pads don't look at all worn to me. Are they doing anything when you brake?
After you drive around and brake, are all 4 rotors shiny from braking? The pads look brand new to me which is odd after 5 years but how many miles are on them? Is the other wheel pretty much exactly the same? My favorite trick is to drive around braking hard for a while then read the temperature of each rotor with an infrared thermometer. I've found inconsistencies which indicate problems to be fixed.

I changed front rotors & pads at 75K miles, then front & rear rotors and pads at 125K, then front rear rotors and pads again at 160K (Rear still ok but changed anyway). Rear pads wear slower than front on my 03 but they do wear, and the wear should be fairly even across all 4 pads or something is wrong IMHO.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off mechanics 101, to do a brake inspection you pull all four wheels, to do a brake/ safety inspection. These vehicles have a hat type emergency brake, under the rotor with a small set of brake shoes. If your not willing to jack all 4 wheels, and do a complete inspection, have someone do it for you. If your just checking pad thickness, with no brake issues, noise, pulsation, sponginess, you can cheat and pull one wheel, front and rear, buts that's a gamble. What if the other side has a stuck caliper, or a leaking hose. You'd never see it. Bottom line dont cheat with brakes! Your rolling down the road with 5800 plus pounds trying to stop. In the words of Mr Eastwood, do you feel Lucky! You get the point, never cheat with brakes!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
had that same issue for a bit, something mild goin on, didn't even bother checking it out, then..

one day, got ugly real quick & sudden ..close to home,

front caliper lower bolt was gone fwiw

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
How'd you make out? I'm becoming a great fan of Moose; he always seems right on with his advice. No shortcuts here. You are looking for a problem and as troublesome as it might be, you have to pull each wheel and check each brake.

You should also pull the rear rotors (ouch!) and see if the parking break parts are rusted apart and bouncing around in there. Try stopping the car with just the parking brake, but be prepared for them not releasing if you haven't used them in fifteen years. I've seen many that were neglected toast and their rusty remnants knock around in their drums. When you pick up speed, the centrifugal force makes the loose parts, lining chunks and rust stop clanging -- slow down and they knock around again.

And check those front pads too. Just because they're six months old doesn't mean that something bad hasn't happened to 'em.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’m going from memory here...isn’t there supposed to be a removable clip that the ears on the brake pad fit into on the caliper? It creates a track for the pad to travel on while brakes are being applied. I don’t see any in the pictures so wonder if the pad may be vibrating from the slop the missing clip may create. Again, it’s been a while since I’ve had to do my rear brakes so I’m not positive there are any that go there.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The inside outer edge of the rotor appears to have been rubbing on something. I would suspect the backing plate or caliper mount.

YMRacing

Reaction score
My '06 did this shuddering thing last fall. Found it was a faulty ABS sensor. Tested by pulling the fuse to the ABS pump and it quit. ABS warning light never came on!

dano100

Reaction score
My '06 did this shuddering thing last fall. Found it was a faulty ABS sensor. Tested by pulling the fuse to the ABS pump and it quit. ABS warning light never came on!

just saw this in researching chattering/shuddering thing. Have an 06 as well w/190K and this just started and stopped yesterday. Did you solve by replacing the ABS sensor ...dealer item or otherwise. sorry, inexperienced here

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our friend Ben may or may not be around to answer your question. It's been 8 months since his post, and members seem to go **** around our site.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk