Had a boo boo last night

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drtj

Reaction score
Last night was riding around & went to the river. There is an area that is called the beach. It has nice sugar sand. We was riding around & went to turn got stuck. Put it in reverse ended up in the river. The exhaust pipe was about 1foot under water for 30 minutes. We was on an incline so no water was near the motor. After help arrived the truck cut off. Now I can't get it to start. I've checked the oil its clean. Someone told me about an etna (sp) switch to reset. Does anyone know where this switch is located? Its a 99 expedition 5.4L 4x4.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if its the switch... look behind the kick panel for the front passenger... look in your owners manual for a pic...

alexhozee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you mean the inertia switch, this switch stops the fuel pump in case of an accident,
It's located behind the right kick panel of passengersside, remove the plastic bottom strip on the floor where you get in the car and then you can remove the kickpanel.
You don't have to screw anything, just pull gently.

It's a small black box with a grey connector, at least at mine expy it is. The RESET switch is on top of it.
At mine expy it's written on the kickpanel.

I use this switch to release the pressure when changing the fuelfilter, run the engine en disconnect it, it runs a few seconds and then stops.

good luck!

Alex

OP
OP
D

drtj

Reaction score
I think you mean the inertia switch, this switch stops the fuel pump in case of an accident,
It's located behind the right kick panel of passengersside, remove the plastic bottom strip on the floor where you get in the car and then you can remove the kickpanel.
You don't have to screw anything, just pull gently.

It's a small black box with a grey connector, at least at mine expy it is. The RESET switch is on top of it.
At mine expy it's written on the kickpanel.

I use this switch to release the pressure when changing the fuelfilter, run the engine en disconnect it, it runs a few seconds and then stops.

good luck!

Alex

Yeah that sounds more like it. I found it & it wasn't tripped. Anymore suggestions? Thanks for all the help

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the charcoal canister is also back there. idk if that got water in it or something who knows. its a ********* cylinder almost looks like an air tank. it could have got water in it and sent water into the engine.

OP
OP
D

drtj

Reaction score
Yeah like a dummy I did try to start it. Guess I need to pull plugs to see if there is water in them. Right? I will also check the black canister for water.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes, it should still start in 4wd. since you tried to start it while still under water, you could have sucked water up. yes, check the black canister that panda mentioned and pull the plugs. hopefully there isnt too much water and debris in there and it all just needs to dry out. chances are you are going to have to change all of your plugs, and your oil, at the minimum.

OP
OP
D

drtj

Reaction score
ok thanks! Im going to get started on it this afternoon when i get home. I will keep yall posted.