Hard shift 2nd gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JARR3R

Reaction score
I have chased a hard shift going into 2nd gear on my 02 expedition for about 2 years. I went to multiple transmission shops and changed multiple engine sensors and parts. Only to continue to feel the truck surge into second gear. Finally after researching forums on the internet I found a guy who put a shift kit in his expedition and problem solved. I did not buy the shift kit but just new valve body springs. And sure enough a $14 spring kit fixed my problem. I have the 4r100 trans. Pic attached is the broken spring out of my valve body second gear.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 38

Ristin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does this broken spring cause a hard shift every time or is the hard shift intermittent? I have the hard shift intermittently. Some days my trans makes the 2nd gear shift smooth as butter and other times it rattles my teeth.
I

DarrinBC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does this broken spring cause a hard shift every time or is the hard shift intermittent? I have the hard shift intermittently. Some days my trans makes the 2nd gear shift smooth as butter and other times it rattles my teeth.
I

It depends on how broken it is. You can get some really wonky shifting happen when those springs break. So yes, it definitely could be what you would call intermittent.

D

Ristin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. Sounds like this is my issue to. I hate messing with auto trannys. Always afraid I'll accidentally let the voodoo out.