Hard to start issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thewishkah

Full Access Members
Reaction score
twice in the last two days I've had an issue that has happened once before this. I hit my remote start it cranks and starts to start then dies. I get in and try to start it and it will crank and crank with plenty of power but it won't kick over until I hit the gas pedal and it will die if I take my foot off the gas. I have to keep it at high Idle for a minute or so to prevent it from dying. After that it's fine. I should mention every time it happens its in the teens. At first I thought it was gas freezing because it was just above a quarter tank but I filled it last night and it happened again today. I live on a hill which I don't know if it matters but I figure any info might point somewhere. Also when it does turn over I get some grayish blue smoke out of the tail pipe which clears quickly.

Here's what I've done to the truck in the last few months to cover what already been done
New plugs
New pcv valve
Cleaned egr ports and put new tb gaskets
Cleaned maf
New air filter
New fuel filter
Cleaned iac
Seafoam through the brake booster a few months ago

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sticking IAC, EGR valve. If you can, check the fuel pressure prior to cranking, it should be about 35 psi.

OP
OP
thewishkah

thewishkah

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking the IAC as it used to stick when I got the truck, after being on the highway it wouldnt let the idle drop lower then 1.2k rpm unless I played with the gas pedal and rev the engine. I just wish the thing would throw a code lol I dont want to replace things on the chance its the issue lol like the EGR valve. Why would the EGR valve cause this issue if you dont mind me asking? I will check the pressure today, it should be 35 just sitting there or after I turn the key and prime the pump?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the PATS wouldnt have anything to do with it? mine does this from time to time and it started shortly after getting my remote start on it...guess i'll have to check into it when i get back

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i always thought it was by PATS bypass since i didnt buy the one from viper for my viper system...i went with bullydog

OP
OP
thewishkah

thewishkah

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dont believe that to be my issue because when I finally do get it to turn over I get some smoke out of the exhaust, I was thinking leaky injectors maybe? Or something along those lines.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the egr is stuck open you will get quite a large amount of un metered air into the intake and that will upset the A/F ratio to a point it will not start and can even stall an idling engine if it is suddenly opened. that's just IF the egr is the problem. maybe the smoke is just the unburned fuel after the egr or iac get into the proper position,

Did you ever clean or replace the IAC since you mentioned having had some problems with that in the past?

OP
OP
thewishkah

thewishkah

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I cleaned the IAC a while back and the issue it had went away. After taking it on the high way once in a while the idle wouldn't drop below 1-1.2k and would correct if I reved it a bit. After I cleaned it it no longer did that and acted normal. For a while I would have a stall or near stall when hitting the gas in reverse (going to park) I did the plugs, the egr ports, the PCV valve, and replaces one of the hoses fron the TB to the valve on the fire wall near the brake booster.

After all of that issue went way. I have noticed a fall in gas mileage since I've gotten the truck and even with all of the work I listed it didn't get any better (and the plugs were as bad as .70 on some and the 2 rear passenger side were lose enough I didnt need a ratchet to get them out, I was able to do it by hand). It doesn't throw any codes and runs smooth. I do burn about 3qts of oil between changes. I've also replaced the fuel cap in hopes it wasn't sealing. Right now im getting a best 10mpg even with mid grade fuel. When I got the truck I was getting about 13.5 mpg. It's on 315/70/r17's which I know doesn't help the gas situation but they have been there all along so that shouldnt make a difference in my drop.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeroday