Has anyone pulled out a tree stump with thier expy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Maybe our friend can get ahold of one of those trucks that pulls the sled for distance like you see on TV. Pulls a wheelie huh! Sounds like a man who's tried pulling a stump with his tow truck. Must be one hell of a slam when the front wheels come back down.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk
Nah, I wouldn't do that to a friends truck. It wouldn't have slammed down though unless the cable snapped. I have had them do wheelies more than once though. Especially small ramp trucks that you had to get creative with a load... It's more than a little disconcerting when you go over a small hill and you loose steering for a minute.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now you know why I suggested the tow truck. $50.00 vs $1,000 or more in damage to your Expedition. Seems like simple math to me. Tow truck drivers have a lot of down time. If you play your cards right, you might be able to use your AAA card. Tell them it's a flat tire change. Probably won't go for it, but who knows, the kid may hate his boss!

You DO know a tow truck is usually just an F250/F350/Ram HD chassis with crap bolted on the back?

It's not actually particularly different

PS if you're sure it's a risk of damage, you COULD just do the azzhat thing and rent a hardware store heavy duty pickup for a couple hours

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If not using a tree stump grinder, use pulleys and you don't even need a big truck. Check this out:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think back in the old days, they probably dug around it, then hooked up some strong ropes or chains, and had 2 mules pulling together yank it. Poor mules. Dynamite sounds fun to bust it loose. Depending on where you live, it could mean jail or no big deal!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think back in the old days, they probably dug around it, then hooked up some strong ropes or chains, and had 2 mules pulling together yank it. Poor mules. Dynamite sounds fun to bust it loose. Depending on where you live, it could mean jail or no big deal!

Old days?

Hell, me and my late grandfather pulled half a dozen with just shovels, axes, and straight prybars on his land in the late 90's one summer

They were big-azz things, too, maybe 1.5' - 2' trunks for the most part

Kevin Esplin

Reaction score
I've pulled out roots and shrubs. Its amazing how strong they are. I made a mess of my front yard with ruts from tires. I thinks its better to cut and dig.

There are special ropes for certain towed water sports that are Kevlar and don't stretch. A normal poly rope or strap will stretch and store energy like a rubber band. Or use a chain at least. Chains no stretch.

Chains under tension will still snap back, better to dig and if you cannot pull out with "gentle" torque, keep digging

EightIsEnough

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By the way...I have tried this. Chain snapped and dinged up my tailgate on my last Expy. It was only an 8 inch tree. Fortunately it missed the glass. I have also done this with an excavator, a D8 dozer and a backhoe. I prefer the D8.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
By the way...I have tried this. Chain snapped and dinged up my tailgate on my last Expy. It was only an 8 inch tree. Fortunately it missed the glass. I have also done this with an excavator, a D8 dozer and a backhoe. I prefer the D8.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Interesting. I love this real world engineering stuff. My chain suggestion was based on the "thing being pulled" breaking loose. If the "thing pulling" breaks loose, that's an alternative scenario. I'm sticking with don't do it. Never knew steel would stretch. I don't understand that. Believe you just don't understand how that happens. I guess it does though. Steel will stretch until permanent deformation occurs. I googled it

Years ago we pulled a wood stove pipe chimney off a house with a pickup truck and it went flying past the truck. Oops but nobody got hurt.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tan Khai Nguyen