Headlight swap done. Pleasantly impressed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Declansdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I finally got fed up with my poor night vision from my yellowed headlights. I've tried the whole restore thing but still they weren't clear. So I bought some cheapo eBay housings $80 and a heavy duty 9007 wiring harness (I suggest that for everyone even with stock housings). I got the Philips XTreme Vision bulbs as I've had much success with them in the past.

The housings weren't the same pictured in the eBay ad but I found that they were selling for $170 which is twice what I was charged. Don't know if they ran out of the ones I wanted or what. But anyways they have a led strip in the headlight which I'm not sure if I'll wire up or not and the turn signal is all LED. The ones I wanted didn't have any of that fancy stuff but all well.

If you haven't seen the upgraded harness I suggest taking a look into it. They are relatively cheap and make a world of difference. I think mine was $32.00 shipped to my front door. Instead of the current having to travel through a bunch of wire before reaching your headlight it actually puts the power to the headlights straight from the battery through 14ga. wire. It has its own contained relays and fuses. It's a pretty trick piece. I tested my voltage at my headlight and was only getting 10.2V to the lights. Now I get 13+ when the truck is running.

Anyways thought I'd just share my mod and post a couple pics.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 219
OP
OP
D

Declansdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a link. I can't find the exact one I bought as I guess the auction ended but this is the same thing, just $3 more than what I paid.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/310713213277

Nothing fancy. It has a plug that plugs into one of your existing headlight plugs and that's what controls the relays. Then I just taped up the other side to keep dirt and moisture from getting in the plug. Best thing is if you want to remove it you just unplug everything, no cutting. I wish I would of taken pics before and after. I did the headlight swap first then the harness and there was a very noticeable difference in the two.

Also here's the instructions to give you a better idea how it works.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 83

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Depo lights that I bought came with a harness.

Exp_drvr_qrtr.jpg

It was decent enough, would have preferred a little heavier wiring but it was decent.

Sir William

Reaction score
I'm on my second set of those Depo lights (10-point buck) and LOVE them. The extra high beam bulb makes a huge difference out here in the sticks.