HEAT Help desperately needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlp9144

Reaction score
Hello everyone... I have a 1997 expedition with 131,110 miles my heat doesnt really work. The front works but only on the low fan and then not that hot. The rear just blows cold on any fan setting. Ive checked the lines under the hood ! is hot the other is cool. And the rear lines are both ice cold i guess there is a clog. Ive been looking to see where and how i can back flush to clear the blockage but dont see how it can be done. If anyone can tell me how to do it it will be greatly appreciated. I live in Bushkill Pennsylvania and the temp is right now -1.. Thanks for any help

BigJuicy02

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a cooling system problem. Here is some things you should check first. Check your coolant level. Make sure there is no air in the system. Thermostat could also be stuck. Does the temp gauge on the dash read normal while driving?

If there is a blockage in the heater core you can remove both of the heater hoses and run a water hose to one of the pipes and try to flush all of the junk out. I know this is a problem with your weather. Im in upstate New York and my heat isnt working either. Had to park it until I can get outside to work on it.

There is also a flow restrictor in the heater hose just before it runs through the firewall. I know this is true on a 99, should be the same for 97 but I am not positive. The restrictor can come loose and block the pipe into the heater core. Squeeze the hose before the pipe and see if you can feel it in there. If so, that is not your issue.

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes or if you find any other issues.

Good Luck and stay warm.

OP
OP
J

jlp9144

Reaction score
Restrictor not blocking pipe and How would I bleed out any air in the system and if that isnt it. Do I need any special tool to take the hoses off. plan to do the work Wednesday or Thursday when it will be much warmer

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easy way to bleed air from the system is to park on an incline so that the surge tank is the highest part of the cooling system. With the engine running, cap off the surge tank, squeeze the upper radiator hose rapidly. Do this on and off until the engine gets up to temp. Top off the surge tank to the correct level and replace the cap.

Your problem can be caused by low coolant level even though the surge tank is at the correct level.

Also make sure the heater hoses aren't pinched which will reduce the coolant flow to/from the core.

There is a tool made that helps remove the hoses. The one I have has helped in removing some but not all of them. You may get lucky. Gates makes the same type hose connector that replaces the one Ford uses. I think it is an improved version, went on easy and has larger tabs if I remember correctly.
If you have trouble getting the hoses off you can break the bridge on both sides of the connector with a screwdriver.