Heated/Cooled seats problem identified

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My ‘14 KR only has two levels... unless you count “off” as a level.

It also only has one cigarette lighter socket under the controls, not two like JExp shows.

And here I thought mine was the fanciest. :anitoof:

King Ranch is the fanciest, I would have loved one for that genuine chaparral leather covered interior alone. No vinyl to be found in your truck unlike the rest of our trims.

Last edited:

SteveExpy07

Reaction score
Sounds like a fix I'd like to try. Where is the harness and plug? Under the seat? And what does the fix look like?

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, under the passenger seat. Look for a hollow plastic tray. It’s just kind of sitting in there. Tug at it and the module will slip easily out of the plastic tray. Unplug the connectors and you’ll likely find the burnt pin right away. The pin right next to the burnt one is available to add as a second ground. Splice the two pins together, drill a hole through the plug so you’re spliced wire can run through it while it’s plugged into the module and then splice it into the black wire with white stripe on the harness side and you’re all set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lee Winter

Reaction score
Muddy, I got the assembly out without removing the seat. The plug around the ground is pretty well melted as shown in other pictures I’ve seen. The pin is discolored, but I should be able to clean it up. Am I to splice the pins together inside the assembly?

Lee Winter

Reaction score
Disregard. I figured it out. I am going to order a new plug now that I validated the issue with much help from this page. FYI, there is no way I’m getting the box back in place without taking the seat out

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lee, I never removed my seat either. I was able to get the box in and out and work on the plug with the seat in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Lee Winter

Reaction score
I placed my order for the plug, and don’t want to work upside down so long. The seats are really cooking, but I need to clean up the fix I rigged. The wires were so short when I cut the original ground that I needed to add some extra wire creating an additional connection. I tried using the newer pushin connectors but couldn’t get the wires to seat. I ended up using wire nuts. I’m not comfortable leaving them in place for long term use. Thanks again! Great instructions from you and the rest of the board.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking at the factory wiring diagram, this circuit is not properly spec'd. At least in 2015-17 models, the Climate Controlled Seat Module (formerly known as the Dual Climate Seat Module) is connected to a 40A circuit breaker via a 6 gauge wire. That is HUGE so it's evidence of the current draw involved.

This 6 gauge wire is then split into two 12 gauge wires that feed into the module (one for each front seat). But, there is only ONE ground wire going to the module and it is only 12 gauge!

Basic circuit design says the current flowing into a system must equal the current flowing out. So, if a fat 6 gauge wire is needed to feed the heated/cooled seats, the same capacity is also needed going back out.

Dividing up the ground between two pins on the module is not enough. If this were my truck, I would instead run a separate 12 gauge ground wire from the module to the nearest suitable grounding point (maybe behind the right kick panel).

There is an easier way to perform this repair. Rather than cutting all the wires to the damaged plug and splicing them to new wires, instead simply remove the undamaged pins from the old plug (one pin at a time) and transfer them over to the new plug. They can be tricky to extract, but should snap into place easily. Just be sure not to bend the tang on the pins such that they will not snap back in securely.

Once the existing undamaged wires are routed to the new connector, use just two of the wires that came with the connector kit. Cut and splice in a new pin to replace the damaged ground pin, then add an additional pin for a new ground wire next to the existing one. Extend the new ground wire as needed and run it to a suitable grounding point nearby. Be sure to use 12 gauge wire.

Last edited:

STINNETT

Reaction score
Great info! Thanks! Anyone have part number and link for the replacement connector?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt