heated seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Well.. I figured out how to get the module off the bottom of the seat(s). Pain in the butt at first but they pop right off when you stick a screw driver in the right slot. I swapped the driver side with the pass side. To make a long story short, the element must be shot, cuz it ain't the module. Bummer. I was hoping I could fix it with a new $80 module. Oh well.. dealer wants around $250 for the element installed. Whhhhaaaaaa. At least I love the truck.

OP
OP
G

Well I have some troubleshooting tips for those who want to attempt fixxing the problem them self. Yes it was the Heating element that was open. I bought the element, but had to buy the seat cushin with it. For a quick check Loacate the Connector with four wires with the colors of 2) Yellow and 2)black w/red stripe located just under the foward part of the seat its flat with four wires accross. Disconnect connector and with a Ohm meter check the resistance between the two Yellow wires should read 1-2 ohms of resistance and between the two blk/red wires I read about 14k ohms. On mine the Open was between the two Yellow wires. After taking the seat apart I found the open at the aft portion of the seat cushin where most of the sitting weight would be. It was burnt open probably from being flexxed in that area so many times. It looks like it could be repaired because I stripped back the wires where it was open and twisted it together to get the resistance measurement. I think I will hold on to my old one just incase to try again sometime. Taking the seat apart takes a little time to figure out but comes apart fairly easy. The only problem was reattaching the leather cover to the new foam cushin with some little wire loops. You will know what Im talking about if you try it, but I was sucessful and now I have heat. Hope this helps anyone out!. I paid about $140 for the parts that list for $177 at the dealer. Good luck and Happy Holidays! Now I can go ICE fishing with a warm seat!

gibsonj

Reaction score
Hey GPilot,

Where did you get your parts? I have to do this job soon. Thanks.

OP
OP
G

Hey

I too had the heated seats die on my 03 EB!! However my dealership recognized it as a defect and both modules and whatnot were replace free of charge!

I recommend checking into it, for all ya'll who have this problem. Ford should help you out!

OP
OP
G

I had same problem with drivers side took it apart and fix blue wire in seat bottom where it was burned works great now thanks gpilot for your fix solution. it only took about three hours and was worth it and those little rings and the cushion are called hog rings and are simple to replace. Good luck everyone you can buy hog rings and hog pliers at your local farm store or at seat shops

OP
OP
G

I've read all the posts on heated seats but my problem is that both the drivers side and passanger side seats stopped working at the same time. Both fuses are good and I did the Ohm check that GPilot suggested above and they check out OK. Anyone have an idea as to what might be wrong?

nstyle

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a 99 Expedition Eddie Bauer and the drivers side heated seat was not working. The passenger seat was working fine. The drivers side light on the button turned on, but no heat.
Gpilot is on the money with the solution. I have a pic of the heat pad that I would like to share since I spent 2 hours fixing my seat.
I followed Gpilots advise and tested the 4wire plug first and found that my passenger seat had continunity on the yellow wires and my drivers did not. I then proceeded to remove the 4 bolts from the floor and take the seat out (don't forget to unplug the two electrical cables connecting the seat to the vehicle).
Then I removed the plastic cover holding the electrical buttons and pulled back the leather seat cover. At that point I found the heat pad and a visual inspection of it found the burn mark where the very small wire was broken. It seems that the obvious place for a break is where the pad lays on the horseshoe shaped support wire. I then removed the heating pad so I could resolder the wire and verified that I had continuity and put everything back together. Now the seat heats right up!
I hope the pics help. I have a few more if anyone wants some other views. Thanks to everyone's posts.

Attachments

• img_1839.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,713