Heater hose popped off at firewall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While driving home on the interstate, I noticed a sudden smell of coolant. I pulled over and found one of the heater hoses had popped off.

Back when I did the intake manifold (August), I had those hoses disconnected. When I reconnected it today, I couldn't get it on tight. There's maybe 1/2" of play in the hose. I managed to get to a point where it didn't pull off but I'm concerned that it's not tight like the other hose.

I feel like the plastic clip that holds the hose doesn't have the "spring" that it use to and that's why it has that play. If I hold the clip up, it seems to hold better.

I have a feeling I can get a new set of clips with a new heater core- but I would rather not if I didn't have to. Although it does have nearly 190k miles now.

Any ideas on keeping the hose attached better?

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you!

The white plastic part is still on the hose barb on both sides- is it suppose to be that way?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is supposed to stay on the metal line and lock the hose onto to it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just ordered 2 to replace the other side as well.

Thanks again for this. While I never had any issues with it after the initial time, the remaining 750 miles were done with 1 eye on the ScanGauge watching for any temp abnormalities, 1 eye on the back window to watch for coolant spray collecting and 1 eye on the road- I'm a little cross-eyed.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I got my parts. The Dorman 800-404 (linked above) do not fit the metal barb at the firewall (even though it's listed as compatible). The 800-404 is for a 5/8" hose and a 3/4" hose barb. I have 5/8" at both locations.

I tried the 800-403 which is that size but it didn't work (and it is not listed as compatible). I actually broke the quick connect plastic part.

But the Gates Quick-Lok 28500 did work.
Gates Quick-Lok 28500 - Hose Connector | O'Reilly Auto Parts

What a total pain in the butt.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So there's a total of 4 of these quick connects under the hood for the heater hoses. I replaced one back in January. While recharging my AC yesterday, I caused another to leak. I replaced it and the one next to it with Dorman 800-403 quick connects (do NOT get the 800-404 as mentioned above). After I started up the motor, the last one decided it was missing out and started leaking. So now all 4 are replaced.

I'm not sure how I broke the original Dorman 800-403 mentioned above. Maybe I didn't line up the white plastic piece to the black plastic piece while connecting them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett