Heater Smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

charliebush71

Reaction score
New to this thread so thanks to everyone who helps out.

I have a 2010 Expedition EL and when I turn on the heater I get the smell of burning plastic. When I turn off the heater the smell dissipates. I disconnected the heater fan to try and track down where it was coming from and the smoke and smell seem to be coming from under the hood near the radiator. When I turn the heater on it clearly puts a drag on the motor. Anyone have any idea of issue?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

A little more investigating will allow you to locate the source of the smoke. Just about everything is near the radiator so a little more looking will help.

OP
OP
C

charliebush71

Reaction score
Well looks like the AC pulley bearings are bad, had the heater running and looking under hood and the pulley started glowing red and screaming.

Not exactly sure why the AC pulley clutch would engage for the heater. When I turn off the heater no issues (for now).

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A/C will run when the system is set for defrost. Most of the time it is better to swap out the compressor/clutch assembly with a new one.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the pulley is locked up it will break the serp belt. If the a/c compressor is locked up you can go without the a/c for a while.