Heavy Duty Radiator upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember the transmission cooler connects to the A/C condenser in front and not to the radiator itself...that is why all trucks have the mount

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My HD tow pack 2007 5.4L setup: key points from what I’ve heard are fins are flush with rear of radiator and not recessed as well as more fins per inch. 2007 has an electric clutch fan so I have a large shroud and can’t get a good picture without a lot of work....I got the best pic I could. 2010+ trucks have twin electric fans and easier access. Note the liquid to air transmission cooler is on the A/C condenser, the radiator is only visible from inside the engine bay.

1A6D791D-4522-4D59-A677-26A50894604A.jpeg
2E223502-E34F-49A1-82D6-12C14C6C91A1.jpeg

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. I've searched everything I could find her and everywhere else I could think. Sometimes the F150 site has good info for us Expy owners. Learned how to program the factory brake control module there. I just ordered the HD cooling radiator and will see if it will just be a swap. If anyone is interested I will post the results.
Seams OP might have the "real life" answer to the "does the Expy HD radiator exist" question, since he should have received the unit by now...Any chance for an update?...Thanks!...

17BearExpy

Reaction score
I looked at all the threads I could on the forum. Started with the factory brake controller and auxiliary transmission cooler installs which were fairly simple (need specific tools for the aux transmission cooler install in order to separate the tranny lines). I purchased the higher cooling capacity radiator but ended up paying a shop to do that install (not an easy swap). I’m still not sure if the radiator upgrade was worth it. When towing in high heat in AZ, the engine still gets warm and I need to take it easy on the big climbs. It was the same with the non-HD radiator but maybe it is better than it would have been. Either way, I tried to do everything I could to set the vehicle up for the max towing.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked at all the threads I could on the forum. Started with the factory brake controller and auxiliary transmission cooler installs which were fairly simple (need specific tools for the aux transmission cooler install in order to separate the tranny lines). I purchased the higher cooling capacity radiator but ended up paying a shop to do that install (not an easy swap). I’m still not sure if the radiator upgrade was worth it. When towing in high heat in AZ, the engine still gets warm and I need to take it easy on the big climbs. It was the same with the non-HD radiator but maybe it is better than it would have been. Either way, I tried to do everything I could to set the vehicle up for the max towing.

So you can answer the debate? The HD towing radiator exists, and is actually different?

17BearExpy

Reaction score
So you can answer the debate? The HD towing radiator exists, and is actually different?

Here is a screenshot of the parts I ordered. I first checked a local ford dealership to confirm part numbers and get their quote. Much better price online. As far as being different, it was hard to tell. Looked basically identical to me. Also, I think the last letter on the part number was “C” for a short time, then Ford changed it to “B” from what I recall. I had the dealer look up the part number for an Expedition with the factory installed HD tow package and give me those part numbers.

04F5DDB4-CAF4-46A7-84AB-D61160F512B7.jpeg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have an 07-08 or 09-11 Ford offers the B radiator for super cooling only and it says it replaces the standard A radiator too. The standard radiator comes up as discontinued. This makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint, cheaper to only produce and stock one part that fits both applications as these trucks get older.