Heavy Power Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

locosol96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't know if this is the right place for this, but here goes-

'03 EB has power steering problems on startup. Wheel will turn maybe a 1/4, then get stiff, then loosen up, then go stiff. It goes away within a few mintues when the car warms up. No squeaks, whining or groaning sounds coming from car. PS fluid reservoir is full. I don't see any leaks.

Planning on looking into it this weekend, but wanted to know if anyone had some ideas about what to look for. The only ideas I have are:
-belt loose
-fluid needs to be changed
-A leak I haven't found yet

Anyone have this problem or have any ideas?

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like the viscosity of the fluid is way off since once warm it goes away i would flush the system and go from there

OP
OP
L

locosol96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kind of what I was thinking about doing. Just wanted to be sure I was analyzing correectly. Also, I'd rather start with something simple before I start replacing things.

OP
OP
L

locosol96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changed out the PS fluid. I don't know what was in there, but it sure as sh*t wasn't the recommended Ford fluid. Problem solved.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
glad to hear!! if you get you oil changed at different shops watch what they top it off with could be the problem