Hello all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silver_Expy

Reaction score
First post - just acquired my mother in laws 2003 Expedition 5.4L XLT. I had always wanted an '04-08 F150, so this is close enough. It's got 195,000 miles but you honestly couldn't tell it. I've got a 2004 Explorer, so I'm no stranger to most of this stuff. It's got its own set of gremlins as well.

It's got a K&N cone filter and the rest is stock. It does however, need some TLC. I'm letting the filter soak right now and I'm changing the oil tomorrow. I've got some 9011 bulbs on the way, if I'm satisfied with those, I'll upgrade the lows and fogs as well. I'll get the stuff for the Gotts mod and the rear wiper mod this week.

It needs -

- Front right hub
- drivers window switch
- mirror switch
- rear blend actuator clicking
- no 4x4 lights and it won't engage
- transmission shudders slightly when downshifting
- and a plug change

Front passenger hub is howling, I'll change it soon. The drivers window switch is shot, which I took it apart and got 3 of the windows to finally work. I'll order a new one from Rock Auto. The mirror adjustment switch doesn't work at all, I'll pull the fuses tomorrow and check that first. I have no sound coming from the T-case and no lights on the dash for the 4x4. I'll check fuses tomorrow and work from there. My mother in law said the tranny has done that as long as she can remember, she just babies it. I'll could either have it rebuilt when it dies, or I could try a 4R100 or a ZF5. I just put some NGK's in the 4.6L Explorer, 2 plugs were stripped from the previous owner and it needed 2 Heli Coils. Hopefully the Expy isn't as bad.

Sorry for the long post. I hope to lift it soon, put some 285-305's on it, get some tow mirrors and throw an exhaust on it in the near future.

DUNE RCR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the repairs. Sounds like you have a decent vehicle and some fairly easy projects for the future.

OP
OP
S

Silver_Expy

Reaction score
Thanks. It doesn't leak or burn oil, doesn't shake or anything, just a reliable family hauler as much as I can gather. I've also got an '04 Explorer with 3rd row and a 2010 Grand Caravan, so I'm turning this one into my vehicle

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love the fact your mother in law has got a k&n and 4 wheel drive. Saved you 1 upgrade at least with filter. Welcome to site. Caution though this site is like chocolate, it gets addicting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the fact your mother in law has got a k&n and 4 wheel drive. Saved you 1 upgrade at least with filter. Welcome to site. Caution though this site is like chocolate, it gets addicting!

Haha didn't pick up on that ...nice!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like the little old lady from Pasadena, driving a brand new shiny red super stock dodge!

OP
OP
S

Silver_Expy

Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes fellas. I've got another problem now....

Floored it to beat traffic pulling out on the highway and the belt squealed. Checked under the hood when I got home and there's coolant all over the motor. Now I've got a coolant smell from the vents and the drivers side window and windshield have condensation that smells like coolant.

I just sold my '01 Honda Civic because of a head gasket, I hope this Expedition doesn't experience the same fate