Help... Fuel Gauge Diagnosis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert K

Reaction score
Hello...

I recently purchased a 2001 Ford Expedition EB. Unfortunately, the person that I purchased it from was not honest about an issue regarding the fuel gauge and some other items (unrelated to this problem). Luckily, I didn't find out the hard way by running out of fuel on the highway. My fuel gauge is stuck on about 3/4 and does not move.

Through researching the forum, this is what I have done...

I have entered the instrument cluster self-diagnosis mode (pressing the trip/reset button while key into the on position). When I perform the gauge sweep, all gauges move except for the fuel gauge. My initial assumption is that the fuel gauge has failed on the instrument cluster and I should replace it.

When pressing through the various diagnostic sequences, I eventually come to FUEL, which shows 029-030. I recently filled up the tank - is that actually the fuel in the tank since it is a 30 gallon tank? Wondering if that is being sent by the sender unit?

Also, my display on the ceiling is consistently displaying "0 miles to empty". That has me concerned that the sending unit might not be transmitting properly, perhaps I have a simultaneous problem with the instrument cluster and the sending unit?

If I can determine that the computer is actually getting the right data, I could just add an external OBD display that shows the fuel level, as well as some of the other real time diagnostics & gauges. However, it would be nice to just fix the problem and not have to worry about it.

I need some advice on where to look. Is the ceiling display tied to the instrument cluster or does it receive data directly from the ceiling unit? Is the FUEL display during the diagnostic mode actually gallons in the tank?

Thank you for any advice...

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum

How many miles on the expy?

I don't have the time at present to offer you some suggestions But I will get back to you later today.

Had a similar problem on my 01 was the fuel sender that was faulty although the pump was OK
I replaced the whole assembly.

Can you read and understand wiring diagrams

OP
OP
R

Robert K

Reaction score
Mileage is 159K, and I do have the odometer coming and going problem, my understanding is a poor solder joint that is very common. I'm not really concerned about that issue.

For the most part, I can read and understand wiring diagrams.

OP
OP
R

Robert K

Reaction score
Not sure if what I was reading during the diagnostics of FUEL being around 029-030 as being gallons remaining. I hooked up my OBD2 reader and none of software seems to pick that up as fuel remaining. I guess I'll find out after I burn some gas in the tank.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Under the air filter you will see TWO connectors C148 and C149 Print 151-02 will show the location You need to disconnect C148 You can disconnect both if you want to After you disconnect C148 Put the key in the ignition and just turn it to the run position NO NEED TO START THE ENGINE see what the fuel gauge reads.

Attachments

• 151-02.pdf
    27.7 KB · Views: 43
  • C148.pdf
    15.4 KB · Views: 43
  • C149.pdf
    15.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 25-07.pdf
    20 KB · Views: 42

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The odometer problem is a common issue on the first Gen. expeditions Its an easy fix and there are some good videos on youtube on the procedure. Takea about an hour or less to make the repair

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the amount of miles on the Expy and depending on the results of you disconnecting C148 it may be best to replace the fuel pump assembly

OP
OP
R

Robert K

Reaction score
Thanks... I'll disconnect C148 when I get home this evening to see if there is any change in the gauge.

OP
OP
R

Robert K

Reaction score
What should I expect to see happen with the fuel gauge after I disconnect? During the gauge sweep test, the thing didn't budge at all. When the car is off, it still shows at 3/4.