Help please...unusual motor sound suddenly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AWD EXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All of the sudden it went from running fine to sounding like maybe a spark plug popped out. I was able to limp home.

It runs rough now. Maybe a EGR valve blew something or other? No check engine light came on. No fluids are pouring out. The gages stayed in normal range.

It sounds bad. I hope it's not as bad as I can't miss work. When the rain slows down, I'll look deeper.

B

bedrck46

check it out and get back with what you find sounds like a plug blew but won't know until you provide more information

OP
OP
A

AWD EXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep. The front driver's side plug is gone. The boot was laying on the motor. The coil is broken at the mounting tab. The plug is nowhere to be seen.

What are the odds of just being able to install a new plug and roll on?

B

bedrck46

not good did you recently change plugs?

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bedrck46

search for this post may be helpful

Thinking of selling my 2001

OP
OP
A

AWD EXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The plugs are the same ones as when I got this a couple years ago. Upon further checking, the threads are non-existent. Time for a hopefully DIY job.

I'll search that post. Thanks.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ensure you get a borescope and look into that cylinder. mine ejected, hit the fuel rail, then back inside only to be clunked on many times by the piston eventually cracking the head.

PanHandler.

OP
OP
A

AWD EXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did look in it with a borescope. Because of the long channel, I couldn't bend the scope to look off towards the side...only straight down. So I didn't see anything much.

I'm going to try a $25 Napa fix kit. My buddy uses those in his shop with good results. It can use a normal plug.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The key to the process, no matter which repair kit you chose, is to keep as much crap out of the cylinder as possible. A small piece of tubing attached to a shop vac can help get any debris out.

All it takes is a tiny piece of metal to get wedged between the valve and valve seat, and you lose compression in that cylinder.

OP
OP
A

AWD EXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got the $36 kit from napa. Just a reamer/tap and some different length inserts. The sealant in the kit was already hard as a rock. I used red loctite. As I fired it back up, it seemed to run well.

I should probably sell this beast soon. Always breaking out the tools for one thing or another. But not making payments. It balances out I suppose.