Help removing front hub assembly (1999 4WD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaserlet

Reaction score
I recently bought a used 1999 Expedition 4WD with 150,000 miles. The pads were shot, rotor was beyond shot, and the front hub bearings are shot. I had no problem removing the caliper assembly but the rotor was rusted on to the hub. I found the nut/bolt trick on YouTube and used that to free the rotor. But now I'm stuck trying to remove the hub assembly. Everything has been soaking in PB Blaster for days and I still broke a 5 ton 3-jaw puller trying to pull the hub. I just got ahold of a 7 ton 2-jaw puller and tried cranking on that but only bent the hub a bit with no success. Help! I've never had so much trouble removing a hub before. I've read the threads on replacing the Expedition/Navigator/F150 hubs, and still can't seem to make any progress. Thank you in advance for ANY help!!

supermario

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im sure someone will chime in soon, but from what i recall when i replaced a front hub assembly on my brothers 2000 Expy, I didnt use a puller. I remember it was a lil stuck adn i just used a brass hammer to tap it and it came right off. I dont think you need a puller. From what i remember i just removed all the bolts and the main nut holding it in and i was good to go. Damm sorry, i wish i could remember more.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I guess I'm not sure how you're using a puller to remove the hub. Doesn't the stub axle just push in when you crank on the puller?

Once you loosen axle bolt and the 3 bolts on the back side, you may need to bash away on the hub flange with a sledge hammer. Mine was really stubborn and I had to knock it loose with a few dozen blows with the sledge.

OP
OP
J

jaserlet

Reaction score
The stub axle doesn't push in, it seems to be "frozen" to the hub. I removed the three bolts and the hub assembly does wiggle around, but it's firmly attached to the stub axle, even after trying to use the puller to push the axle in / pull the hub out.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
use an air hammer with a needle type punch to get the axel to free from its seat, then if the hub is stuck in the knuckle use a slide hammer to get it out

Jack

Reaction score
I recently bought a used 1999 Expedition 4WD with 150,000 miles. The pads were shot, rotor was beyond shot, and the front hub bearings are shot. I had no problem removing the caliper assembly but the rotor was rusted on to the hub. I found the nut/bolt trick on YouTube and used that to free the rotor. But now I'm stuck trying to remove the hub assembly. Everything has been soaking in PB Blaster for days and I still broke a 5 ton 3-jaw puller trying to pull the hub. I just got ahold of a 7 ton 2-jaw puller and tried cranking on that but only bent the hub a bit with no success. Help! I've never had so much trouble removing a hub before. I've read the threads on replacing the Expedition/Navigator/F150 hubs, and still can't seem to make any progress. Thank you in advance for ANY help!!
I am having the same problem that you had on this post. Did you ever get the hub assembly off, and what did you end up doing to get that hub out. Thanks Jack

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have replaced several hubs on Jeeps but not on Expedition yet. But the technique i use on the Jeeps is to undo the three bolts about half way and tap on the heads of the bolts and that will pop the hub out.

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The stub axle doesn't push in, it seems to be "frozen" to the hub. I removed the three bolts and the hub assembly does wiggle around, but it's firmly attached to the stub axle, even after trying to use the puller to push the axle in / pull the hub out.

Did you remove the 32mm nut from the stunb axle if not the hub WILL NOT move out at all.