Help with front suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

af mezkin

Reaction score
O.k, I have a 03 xlt 2x4, 4.6 eng with 98K on the clock. I have replaced all 4 shocks, front and rear anti sway bars along with the end links, front upper control arms, front outer tie rods 6 months ago. My problem is a clunking sound that is coming from the front end , it happens at low (5mph or less) or high speeds, when I hit small or large pot holes or even rough rough pavement. It sounds like there is somthing lose and two parts are making contact when I hit a bump. Other symptoms are a clunk when I turn the wheel too quickly, also when I back out of a parking spot and I turn the wheel to sharp it feels as is the wheel is slipping or losing traction.

This has been going on since before I did the replacements hoping it would solve the problem. I'm in the AF stationed in Italy and repair shops here don't know where to start with a big vehicle like this, the local Ford dealer won't work on it. All repairs I have done myself learning as I go. I was hoping I could wait till I rotate back to the U.S, but the problem has gotten worse and I still have 18 months before I head back to the States.

Should I replace the inner tie rods, front lower control arms, springs, or is it the front hubs? I'm not a suspension expert so I'm shooting in the dark at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.,

DR3W

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ummm, maybe try new bearings. Or steering linkage could be loose. Idk, hard to tell without hearing or seeing it in person. haha Or the a-arms...no. This is pretty puzzling. Good luck man, try having someone drive it while you listen outside it. Hope this helped at all. :)

2000 4x2 xlt 4.6L