Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2006fordexp

Reaction score
Just replaced the Ignition Coil and Plug in cylinder 6 and still getting a diagnostic code that Cylinder 6 coils and plug are causing the misfire.

Any suggetions would be great.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Just replaced the Ignition Coil and Plug in cylinder 6 and still getting a diagnostic code that Cylinder 6 coils and plug are causing the misfire.

Any suggetions would be great.

If your getting misfire code for cylinder 6 that does not necessarily mean its the coil or plug. A bad injector, mechanical issue, electrical, pcm driver can all cause misfire.

OP
OP

2006fordexp

Reaction score
Thanks. When the Coil and Plug were placed it ran fine the 1st day and then today it started again. How can I tell if it is an injector or PCM driver? This dummy appreciates the help.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Thanks. When the Coil and Plug were placed it ran fine the 1st day and then today it started again. How can I tell if it is an injector or PCM driver? This dummy appreciates the help.

If it ran fine the first day I would check or "read" the spark plug. It may be fouled out. Also check the electical connector to make sure its seated properly and free of corrosion.

The condition of the plug may be a good indicator of where your problem lies.

OP
OP

2006fordexp

Reaction score
The plug was new as well as the coil..... could the plug have fouled out that quickly or could have it been faulty?

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The plug was new as well as the coil..... could the plug have fouled out that quickly or could have it been faulty?

Also disconnect and reconnect the battery. It has been know to help the OBDII.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've replaced the coils in my wife's Turbo Beetle with theirs. The first set ran fine except the ecm didn't like them. Threw codes, moved the coil to see if the code moved with it - which it did. Drove fine up to red line but still had the code. Took them back for a new set which got rid of the code and that the ecm was happy with. I suspect the coil didn't operate within the parameters programmed into the ecm - out of tolerance so to speak.

I'm assuming that yours is a cop setup. Move the coil to another cylinder and see if the problem moves with the coil if the other recommendations fail.

Last edited: