HID light question ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

atmasters

Full Access Members
Reaction score
atmasters, the HID bulbs you want will fit into the housings just fine. Just a warning though, the blue bulbs can get you in trouble for "impersonating a police officer". Seen many a ticket get written for those bulbs. Ask the company to show you the DOT stamp for the kit that has the 8000K or 10000K bulbs in them. I bet you will find that they will not be able to. If they do, hold on to that piece of paper very closely. An e-mail saying that they are DOT Approved is not good enough. You need something with the HID companies name across the top or on the box that the HID kit comes in. I do not want to burst your bubble, but just understand what you can be opening yourself up for.

really never even thought of that. Thanks for the heads up. THe color I am looking for I guess is the same lite color as the high end vehicle models. I always thought they looked kinda blue.

1koerner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
really never even thought of that. Thanks for the heads up. THe color I am looking for I guess is the same lite color as the high end vehicle models. I always thought they looked kinda blue.

6k will give u the color u are wanting I have those on mine and they are bluish and bright I have the bixenon kit so both high/low beam are hid

OP
OP
A

atmasters

Full Access Members
Reaction score
6k will give u the color u are wanting I have those on mine and they are bluish and bright I have the bixenon kit so both high/low beam are hid

Do you have the projector style or did you put the HIDS in the stock headlight ?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 6k looks white in my projectors...

HOLY ROLLERZ CHRISTIAN CAR CLUB (HRC3) National Member

OP
OP
A

atmasters

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I am still a little confused as why these lights are so cheap ?tohttp://www.carid.com/2011-ford-expedition-headlights/cg-projector-headlights-313774.html

I saw a pair for a mustang and yes the housing is plastic but so are my stock headlights ? Is the projector lens a poor design ? I have not seen these ones yet in person but the ones for the mustang looked really cool but I am not around to see them in action. What is the main problem going with these sets I guess I would like to know if they are going to fall apart ?

bubbadabulldawg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
atmasters, what you need is what is called a "relay harness". An example would be:
H1 H3 H7 H8 H9 H10 H11 9005 9006 HID Relay Kit Harness | eBay

You need this for your Ford as the factory wiring harness is not truely designed to handle the starting surge of 35W (not 50W, more on this later) HIDs. This pretty much makes installing the HIDs plug and play except for maybe a crimp here and there. I wish I was close to you as I could get the HIDs in to your truck in no time flat.

As for what HIDs you need, you have to answer 1 question: what color light are you wanting? As for the HIDs that you need, most HID kits are going to do what you are after. As for why I say that you need 35W HIDs. HIDs are a much more efficient light producer than a halogen bulb. A 4300K HID bulbs outputs 3300 lumen of light where a 55W halogen bulb only outputs 1300 lumen (roughly). So, you are getting over 2.5 times the light already. You go with 50W HIDs, now you are looking in the range of 4600 lumen (or over 4 times the light). Imagine someone driving at you with 4 sets of high beams on. Think you might be a little pissed at them. Well, you would be doing that to everyone you pass if you did the 50W HIDs for your low beams. If you want to do the 50W HIDs for your high beams, by all means. You shouldn't have the high beams on when you are passing someone anyways. Also keep in mind that the 35W HIDs are the only ones with the DOT stamp on them. So, they are legal to use (some states have varying laws, so, you need to know your local laws to verify 100% acceptance).

If you do use the 50W HIDs, make sure that the relay harness is rated for a 30 amp draw per bulb. the 35W HIDs only require a 20 amp draw per bulb.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know. As you can see, I know a little bit about HID bulbs and whatnot. Between working with security systems and getting training on various methods of lighting and using that lighting for security camera monitoring and having an extensive background in electronics/electrical, this is right up my alley.

I'm looking into upgrading to 35w AC ballasts w/5000k bulbs for low beams and 55w AC ballasts w/5000k bulbs for the high beams, is this setup going to give me any problems? Do you think I would need that relay harness; if so do I need a harness for both sets and why would I need them other than the power current coming from the battery than through the switch? I believe that there are relays for the headlights already installed from Ford so that the power draw doesn't cook the switch.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U shouldn't...I didn't need it until I put 85w in my headlights. ..I dont have harness on my fogs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Lmiff89

Reaction score
I have a 2000 ford expedition eddie bauer, it has hids but the low beam doesnt work. When i put the high beams on they turn off.
what could be wrong with it?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 ford expedition eddie bauer, it has hids but the low beam doesnt work. When i put the high beams on they turn off.

i think thats how they work on 1st gens...

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score

1st gens had both high and low beam filaments in the same bulb. Replacing them with HID's essentially means you have one "filament" now (technically it is gas i know, but its easy to think of it this way) and therefore are only going to get one brightness. The second gens had a separate bulb for high and low beam, meaning you could put two different brightness HID's in. I would think the HID's are plenty bright though and you shouldn't really need the high beams anyways. What you are getting now is the "low" beams.

Hope that helps.