Hid Projector Retrofit in 2011 Expedition Completed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Started the hid retrofit in my 2011 ford expedition, as it turns out, it has so far been easier then expected, so far, my alignment is off by .5mm - 1mm on one projector, but i think that might be acceptable, since the risk of messing it up more is greater.

Using a FX-R 3.0 projector, same as the one from theretrofitsource. Will be driving philips 85122 bulbs at 50watts in this.

Have to say the reflector bowls are made of a metal/plastic mixture, but they are brittle as heck!!

IMG_20120301_224449-1.jpg

nearly ran out of space in behind my headlights, projector protrudes out quite a bit !
IMG_20120304_021942-1.jpg

IMG_20120307_201721-1.jpg

testing everything, hoping that my silicone gets cooked enough not to gas. alternated between 35w and 50w ballasts, to test temperature differences and such. ready to remount in car very shortly. ~20f difference between the 2 ballasts, in a opened environment. probably way more when sealed

but after this set of ebay projectors, i realized that there is a casting mark on the lens, do yourselves a favor and stick with TRS! no more ebay projectors for me from now on.

asides from being stuck in HIGHBEAM MODE! i am done
IMG_20120309_232840.jpg
IMG_20120309_232830.jpg

matchbox projectors with 3000k morimoto h1 bulbs, had this done about a month ago - installed it before i got my hands on any shrouds, some glare, will eventually add shrouds.
IMG_20120309_233159.jpg

IMG_20120310_005852-1.jpg

slightly sad, driver side projector is slightly off, lesson learned, do not silicone stuff on, because i wont be able to get it back off. going to try to shim everything into place. Hope it looks ok after fixing it up

rick chitown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
keep us updated on how they work running down the road... really interested!! Here's a side business for you, we'll send you all the parts, you do the work, charge us a premium, send them back!! I have set of HID bulbs I'm running right now, and I just still don't care for them. I feel like I'm putting off too much glare blinding people! In fact, don't even like driving car at night currently... need to take them out. Projectors are the way to go!

OP
OP
R

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
keep us updated on how they work running down the road... really interested!! Here's a side business for you, we'll send you all the parts, you do the work, charge us a premium, send them back!! I have set of HID bulbs I'm running right now, and I just still don't care for them. I feel like I'm putting off too much glare blinding people! In fact, don't even like driving car at night currently... need to take them out. Projectors are the way to go!

there are plenty of people that do that work, i inquired with some listed people that do retrofits, and one told me ~550 for labor another told me ~1100 for labor.

it is crazy!, i do not think i will be doing this again anytime soon, maybe to open it up eventually and fix the slight alignment issue.

Do it yourself and save yourself the money! if you get aftermarket TYC brand lights, you can be done real quick, the oem lights i used took me many hours to figure out how to open, then some more time to clean off all the permaseal left over. Projectors are the way to go, i have oem projectors on my other 2 vehicles, and i decided i wanted to add projectors onto my newest vehicle.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i got mine done for $600...projectors/shrouds/ccfl's...

OP
OP
R

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i emailed around saying i had my own projectors, shrouds etc, and told them i had oem headlights from ford, and those were the prices i received for labor alone, if it was 600 and included the projectors, shrouds and ccfls, i would gladly send it off to someone to do!

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would love to do this but feel like this is one mod that i would butcher... how much you have into the parts to do this?

OP
OP
R

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
~300 in parts + bought a extra set of oem headlights = 750 or so.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i emailed around saying i had my own projectors, shrouds etc, and told them i had oem headlights from ford, and those were the prices i received for labor alone, if it was 600 and included the projectors, shrouds and ccfls, i would gladly send it off to someone to do!

sickhids.com...zombieland or zombiesoldier does it too...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turro15