Swapping 16 reflectors with OEM projectors....what do I need

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joellg

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I bought a 16 XLT, and I love it. Already replacing the crap shocks with bilsteins, getting around 21 HWY, Im loving this thing! What I dont like are the headlights, they are worse than my 99 cherokee. My options are LED bulbs, or just buying OEM projectors. Is there anything other than buying the new projector housings and bulbs, or are there wiring issues and ballasts and whatnot? How easy is an OEM reflector to OEM projector swap basically? Thanks for any info
Joel

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you want to just buy a set of aftermarket headlights, there's a nice looking one that's floating around the internet, I bought mine on OfferUp to avoid paying tax and also to get them quicker ( can't beat a quick 1-hour spent on meeting and paying for a pair of headlights ), but they are found on multiple websites for about the same price if you wanna order them ( about 200-250$ ). otherwise, as someone who has been down that road and has made custom headlights with a friend with retro fit projectors and vacuum formed plastic shroud, i'd personally just get an already-made pair haha.

B161941D-93D0-43D2-A52A-1AF8AA76BB11.jpeg
09928063-A894-4BEC-9BD8-5B2E9E0A4D4A.jpeg

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there are some shenanigan's that come with going aftermarket regardless of what route you take. with these headlamps, they use an H7 bulb, so I had to get an adapter pigtail to convert the H7 to H11, and then i ran all the HID wiring for the H11 headlight bulbs, plus HID's for the fog lights, and I used spear connectors to crimp/connect the running lights into the stock parking light bulb connectors ( all pretty simple stuff ).

with the retro fit projectors you may possibly have a cleaner wiring situation, and less of that stuff to do, BUT like i've said, i've made custom headlamps with a friend and it's a lot of work for the same result ( and not a big money savings depending on the projectors you get and any materials you end up needing ).