High mileage Expys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEltonJ

Reaction score
2001 Expedition XLT. 5.4L now has 405,200 miles. Put in a donated tranny at 205k even though the original was performing fine at the time. The new tranny only had 20,000 miles at installation. The pedal adjustment recently broke but I synced the gas and brake pedal to the floor board and disconnected it for future use. I've had several Blower Motor Resisters installed in the last several years for some reason. Some #7 spark plug and coil pack was replaced last year. Some coil packs are original, but plugs are changed every 100k. I have always used Synthetic motor oil 5w30.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2001 Expedition XLT. 5.4L now has 405,200 miles. Put in a donated tranny at 205k even though the original was performing fine at the time. The new tranny only had 20,000 miles at installation. The pedal adjustment recently broke but I synced the gas and brake pedal to the floor board and disconnected it for future use. I've had several Blower Motor Resisters installed in the last several years for some reason. Some #7 spark plug and coil pack was replaced last year. Some coil packs are original, but plugs are changed every 100k. I have always used Synthetic motor oil 5w30.

It's too bad about the tranny as it would have been great to see if it could make it without any major repairs. Nonetheless, even if I had to replace a tranny once in 405K miles the truck would get my stamp of approval.

DustyLens

Reaction score
1998 expy xlt with 4.6 and 313,*** miles. Been in family since 2000 and I have it for about a year and half now. Pretty much everything are still original expect for basic maintenance of course. But it's running really rough right now which I started a thread on.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Your truck is in nice shape.

Thank you. I’m proud of how well she’s serving me.
Every time I look at possibly buying something newer I read the forums on the newer generation expys and F-150 and it just brings me back to my ole trusty 1st gen 2v 5.4.

I don’t like VVT on any engine. The chains, tensioner, guides etc are a mess. And I certainly will never buy the turbo v6 on a truck.

If I drove more I would look into a diesel or even the 6.2 v8 gasser I think it is but the prices are ridiculous.

Sooo I just maintain the heck out of the ole gal and save my money.

uscgmac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
162k here and many issues involving infamous p0171 and P0174 codes. I love the truck and I have too much into it to get rid of it so as said earlier, as long as it’s not as much as a new car payment or as long as it never leaves me stranded, I will keep it till the wheels fall off which I hope is a long long time
Those codes are most likely just a vacuum leak. Cheap fix, check your PCV hose and grommet and vacuum lines. You can do a smoke test or water bottle test to check for the leak.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

uscgmac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2002 Expedition XLT with 4.6L 2WD. Only 169,000k so far. I've had it 2 yrs and 20k miles. Did the ball joints and control arms. Front wheel bearings, fuel pump, oil filter housing gasket, rear wiper motor, new tires, PCV hose and a heater hose. Runs and drives great.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Herby

Reaction score
2007 Ford Expedition with 225k miles. Replaced tyranny, timing chain, roller followers and lash adjusters. I will keep her as long as can run.