hmmming noise from intake...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hi all....changed the air intake (spectra) on my 03 4.6....it had this noise before with original intake but you can hear better now. what is that noise or hmmming...goes in and out,loud low. engines revs a bit up down too....txs in advance all...jim

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like an intake leak, especially with the jumpy idle. Check all connections, hoses. Spray any suspect gaskets, hoses, connection. When you hit it rpm will rise and smooth out. Also might want to run codes, see if anything pops up. Report back.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like an intake leak, especially with the jumpy idle. Check all connections, hoses. Spray any suspect gaskets, hoses, connection. When you hit it rpm will rise and smooth out. Also might want to run codes, see if anything pops up. Report back.

Hi Moose, how were you able to bring up the video to hear the noise. I clicked on everything and it wouldn't open. Thanks

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't need to. That's the jumping off point. I've been working on cars/trucks for close to 50 years. That's were I'd start. You mentioned you changed the air intake, Why? Your going to need to do a little more probing. How's the Suv run overall? Any time you've got a erratic idle, its usually due to air leaking from a hose or gasket involving your intake system. Run the dtc codes test. It's free at any parts/ service center. At what speed or rpm is it most noticeable. Let us know.

OP
OP
aircargoo

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
btw....since this post i had changed the iac on this date.... noise gone. $75.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out, and getting back to us.