hot/cold blender tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retrogarage6

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantatio
Hi all. Some HVAC things need advice on.

2003 XLT 5.4 with manual climate control and rear ac.

The blender for hot/cold clicks repeatedly when trying to rotate left to tghe coldest setting, so I know the blender is getting stuck or needs to be replaced.

I'm used to German cars, and using vacuum elements so before I take it apart can someone tell me if this is an electric motor that actuates the blender or is it vacuum?

which parts in there more often do you folks see fail causing this problem?

Also blower only works on 3 and 4 lol which i see a few posts regarding this. Should i replace the knob, check the wiring/cable? Blower resistor/regulator?

Thanks all!

Ed_Strong

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the rear Unit...
2003-2006 Ford Expedition: Rear HVAC Temprature Blend Actuator Clicking Repair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP5AZp8tLnY

2003-2006 Ford Expedition: Rear HVAC Air Distribution Actuator Clicking Fix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucOTZAg27lo

Hope that helps for now... could not find videos for the front HVAC on your year! But I know it involves removing the whole dash to get to it making it a time consuming repair!

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get up there without removing the dash, but you need to remove the center console. The center console is not difficult to remove though, think it's no more than 3 screws and a nudge, if it's the same as the '05, which I think it is.. One screw on the lower back on each side and one screw in the coin tray, and I think that's it. Didn't remove mine yet though, so might be a screw or two hiding under the coin tray.

OP
OP
retrogarage6

retrogarage6

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantatio
HM. That sucks. I attempted to remove the console when i ran wires for a future amp in the rear when i did my head unit.

So i got the under the coin tray screws, there's a couple screws in the back of the console i remvoed, and theres gotta be some i missed because it wouldnt budge so I gave up on it and just went thru the door sills instead. So You can get under to the hvac box directly under the dash where the center console is... awesome!

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I've seen online, it's clipped in to some holders that you need to release. It takes a firm pull, but should come off. There's one in the front and one under the big storage box.