How can I get the 2/20 map update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pw1981

Reaction score
I updated the maps in my 2018 Limited and got the 1/19 version which supposedly is the latest. While visiting my parents recently, I noticed both their cars had a new road visible that mine didn’t. They are both running 2/20 maps and both said the update downloaded over WiFi from the home router. They have a 2021 Expy Limited and a 2020 Explorer Limited. I know for certain they didnt do anything to obtain new maps… at 70 years old if I don’t do it they don’t get it when it comes to tech. I did set up their home WiFi onto the vehicles and checked it to auto update.

is this a Sync 3.4 thing? That’s the only thing I can think of.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For me, I had 2019 Maps on MY19. I had to download the latest version of the CyaLabs program/App. Then, had to go into the settings tab in that App and plug in my current sync version, that I had 19 maps, then it let me download the 2020 maps to include the latest build of sync 3.4 21134

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I updated the maps in my 2018 Limited and got the 1/19 version which supposedly is the latest. While visiting my parents recently, I noticed both their cars had a new road visible that mine didn’t. They are both running 2/20 maps and both said the update downloaded over WiFi from the home router. They have a 2021 Expy Limited and a 2020 Explorer Limited. I know for certain they didnt do anything to obtain new maps… at 70 years old if I don’t do it they don’t get it when it comes to tech. I did set up their home WiFi onto the vehicles and checked it to auto update.

1629515298626.png

mpc11

Reaction score

Manual update option & more info here: https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...-of-ford-sync-3-to-the-latest-sync-3-4.42507/

OP
OP
pw1981

pw1981

Reaction score
My parents cars both somehow did an OTA map update, which i had no idea was a thing. I was hoping there was some way to force it onto mine. i guess I’ll have to wait until September and see what becomes available. I’ve read a bit about the CynLabs thing, but saw people claiming the SXM icons wouldn’t work right after the 3.4 conversion. As silly as that sounds, I actually like the icons a lot. I also worry significantly about bricking it.

volvite

Reaction score
Are the map updates free? If so that's a plus. Most of the previous vehicles I've owned I had to buy an update through the dealership.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They have been free so far for my 2018. I don’t know how long they’ll provide them for free, though.

bring_em_on

Reaction score
Are the map updates free? If so that's a plus. Most of the previous vehicles I've owned I had to buy an update through the dealership.
My last update was free. I had a Ram truck before this Expedition. Map updates were free for 5 years and then you had to buy another 5 year subscription. Hope the Fords aren't like that.