how can i lock the vehicle with engine running and walk away with key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SO i want to let the vehicle stay running to keep ac going and all the coldness that brings while i run into the store.
If i take the key and walk away and try to lock it, it locks but then unlocks and beeps.
is there a way to leave it running and lock the vehicle? without doing the remote start procedure, which shuts off in 15 minutes.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
HOW long do you want the engine running?! More than 15 minutes it seems. Remote start will run the engine for up to 35 minutes (in my '17). Remote start, i.e. Lock and press Remote start twice. Repeat to add 10 minutes. Repeat to add another 10 minutes. 15 + 10 + 10 = 35 minutes. Every additional remote start while the engine is running adds 10 minutes up to a maximum of 35.

Or, as noted while I was typing this. :) Exit the car with the engine running and lock it with the 7/8 and 9/10 keys on the door pad. It's running. And it's locked. Pres your keypad code to get back in. Can someone smash a window and drive off? Of course -- and they'll have a nice cool drive.

-- Chuck

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
if you have 2 keys just leave it running and when you get out lock it with the other key. I have done that many times
That's kinda what I do, though my key fob is separate from the actual key so I keep the fob on me when I leave it running and just lock it. But also as mentioned before a remote start is programmable to run for long periods if needed, mine is set at 23 minutes... that way it's not just toasty inside but the snow melts off the windows by the time it shuts off again

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think there is a safe/secure way to do what you want. As others have stated you can leave your key in the truck and use the keypad but that's not necessarily secure. What I do is shut it off and go inside. Then, when I'm within a few minutes from coming back out again, I use Remote Start to get it going again. The A/C comes on and starts cooling down the interior. I noticed my cooled seats do not activate when I do this. But, I'm guessing that in the Winter the heated seats will be turned on provided you A) have heated seats and B) set them to Auto in the Remote Start section of Vehicle options.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use the keypad on drivers door to lock and unlock while engine is running. Keys stay in truck.

While this works, it affords anyone who punches a single random button on the drivers door a free entry to your vehicle complete with key!!

If my fob is in my pocket or on the console, any button pressed on the keypad will open the drivers door....

jeff

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a waste of gas to leave it idling for more than a few minutes. Not sure how good it is for the engine either. I would follow start-art's advice.

Tim Fuller

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While this works, it affords anyone who punches a single random button on the drivers door a free entry to your vehicle complete with key!!

If my fob is in my pocket or on the console, any button pressed on the keypad will open the drivers door....

jeff

I have to punch in my entire code. Do you have a proximity key? My '13 doesn't.

I agree with jkayca too. Maybe I misunderstood. I use the key pad if I'll be less than 5 minutes. Otherwise I turn it off.