How do I troubleshoot a master cylinder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Just curious how do some of you guys go about troubleshooting a brake master cylinder? & if possible the ABS pump also?

EDIT: forgot to mention it's a 2005 expedition 4x4 XLT w/ABS & W/O AdvanceTrac, 140k miles.

I'm suspicious that mine is failing but I want to confirm before repairing or replacing,

Recently a broken brake line was replaced (few months ago) fast forward to now and theres no leaks visible anywhere and the resviour is been full since.

My brake fluid is dark blue ~ almost black, while driving the first 75% of travel doesn't engage the brake till almost at the very end of the pedal travel. It does max out easily and I've hit it to the floor at times. While I'm idling in D or P it acts normal with pressure felt as soon as I touch the pedal

Any help is highly appreciated

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well the way we used to go master/vs wheel cylinder or caliper, was at a stop holding constant pressure after pumping 3 times, was if it slowly sank, that was master. If it held it was wheel cylinder if drum, or caliper if disc. That being said, with abs, and modules and such, I'd start with a abs codes check. Your not losing fluid, I'd bet you picked up air somehow. Your last comment it feels normal at idle, rules out the master. It would drop the pedal all the time. Hey Habbibie didn't we have a guy here about 2 months back that had to replace his abs pump! Similar symptoms wasn't it!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Hey Habbibie didn't we have a guy here about 2 months back that had to replace his abs pump! Similar symptoms

Do you think you can remember the name or the title of the thread? I must've missed it

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't, maybe one of our regulars can pull it up. I work with just a basic Android, and am not real techie like others. I'll dig around though. Stamp or Bedrck might remember it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He passed away, wow I didn't know that. I liked that guy, he used to pm me everytime I screwed up. Just watched a video online that symptoms were just like yours, was Abs pump. Theirs a way to reroute master cylinder bypassing pump to see if pedal gets hard. You might try that first. The pumps rarely fail, but your year is I think same if not close to the other members that did. Can't believe you've been driving with sinking pedal! When did Bob pass away?

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
He passed away, wow I didn't know that. I liked that guy, he used to pm me everytime I screwed up. Just watched a video online that symptoms were just like yours, was Abs pump. Theirs a way to reroute master cylinder bypassing pump to see if pedal gets hard. You might try that first. The pumps rarely fail, but your year is I think same if not close to the other members that did. Can't believe you've been driving with sinking pedal! When did Bob pass away?

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/bedrck47-rip.35739/#post-303368

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Also Moose please share that video I found couple the closest to my year I found was a 98 expedition and the guy just threw parts at it till it eventually got fixed

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm 60+ and suffering from CRS and depression because of CRS...

I enjoy walking into Depot and the sweet little babe asks me if there is anything she can help me with. I look at her a say yea, do you remember what the hell I walked in here for?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stamp I'm same way. I can remember something I did in 1964, but can't remember something I heard yesterday.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker