How many miles are too many?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
u.p.expy

u.p.expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree 100% on the maintenance issue-although I trust my local ford dealer, I perform my own regular maintenance. I do keep up on the transmission & coolant-both were recently flushed.
I should get under the expy and look at the suspension & other miscellaneous items...maybe next week.
I tow boats quite often, so I really can't see myself with any other type of vehicle. Not to mention just how sweet of a ride these trucks are too.

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I consider shocks, springs, and anything that moves with the suspension in the same category as brakes and oil changes.

The ford modular engines, transmissions, suspension and chassis were designed for taxi, police, and other service vehicles that see hard abuse day in and day out. So they are built to last. When I worked for ford expeditions, crown vics and f series trucks only really came in for maint mostly and if one required repairs it was relatively rare. What made me the most money were taurus, explorer, windstar/freestar, focus, and mustang(although to a much lesser extent).

The only rare issues the expeditions had were the rare spark plug blowing out of the head (rare as it was mostly lightnings and has long since been remedied) and when the 2nd gens came in we got a few blown rear ends. But again it was rare to see an expedition outside of oil change and rotation or a PDI order.

DonP

Reaction score
I have 287K on 1 1998 only have done routine maintenance. Nothing to bad just a new alternator 1 yr ago and new brake lines yesterday.

nubia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 07 expy with 108K miles-vehicle has been flawless (well, flawless aside from the paint issue...) but am beginning to wonder if I should look at a newer model with warranty coverage.

What kind of miles do you have on your expy's, and should I reconsider buying a newer model at this point based on mileage?

I have a 2007 expy eb EL with 265.000 miles and runs flawlessly. I use motorkote along with fully synthetic oil. i plan on driving this until the wheels fall off. love this expy!!!!

You can learn more about motorkote here. I have NO connection or affiliation with the company. motorkote.com

OP
OP
u.p.expy

u.p.expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2007 expy eb EL with 265.000 miles and runs flawlessly. I use motorkote along with fully synthetic oil. i plan on driving this until the wheels fall off. love this expy!!!!

You can learn more about motorkote here. I have NO connection or affiliation with the company. motorkote.com

Holy chit!! That's a lot of miles for an 07!! Cudos to you. I have been running Mobil One full synthetic for about 40K now.

I will certainly look into motorkote-thanks.

spotdog14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 95k on my '08. We purchased it last year with 68k on it. It has fast become our go to vehicle for going up north/camping/hauling/road trip vehicle. It made the trek from Michigan to South Dakota hunting last year and will again this year. We drove from Michigan to Baltimore last month and it was perfect. I don't see us trading this in on anything before it hits 200k.

I had a 1995 Explorer Limited that I had for 195k miles and would like to try to break that record with this vehicle and the rate we are putting on miles I don't think that will be a problem.

On a side note I think its really funny that a lot of my family made fun of us for trading in my 2010 Fusion on a 2008 Expedition but with a baby on the way (at the time, he is 5 months now) and 3 labs and our love of camping it was the perfect vehicle and its crazy whenever we go on a family road trip they always want to take the Expedition.

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 95k on my '08. We purchased it last year with 68k on it. It has fast become our go to vehicle for going up north/camping/hauling/road trip vehicle. It made the trek from Michigan to South Dakota hunting last year and will again this year. We drove from Michigan to Baltimore last month and it was perfect. I don't see us trading this in on anything before it hits 200k.

I had a 1995 Explorer Limited that I had for 195k miles and would like to try to break that record with this vehicle and the rate we are putting on miles I don't think that will be a problem.

On a side note I think its really funny that a lot of my family made fun of us for trading in my 2010 Fusion on a 2008 Expedition but with a baby on the way (at the time, he is 5 months now) and 3 labs and our love of camping it was the perfect vehicle and its crazy whenever we go on a family road trip they always want to take the Expedition.

That was my reasoning for upgrading from a grand cherokee to an expedition. Kids. We go on a 2 week trip every summer and then a week long to lake gaston and trying to get 2 adults and a baby and 2 weeks worth of stuff in a grand cherokee (slightly small for a midsize) always had me loading the roof up and the empty seats. Now #2 is on the way so the jeep had to be replaced. With the expedition Im sure we wont even have to touch the roof for our trips. Plus the power difference from the 235hp/295tq + mods is MUCH < the stock 3v 5.4 and I get the same or better fuel economy.

So I get same or bigger tires, higher up then the jeep, more power, better MPGs, better hauling/towing by ALOT and feels more like home all made it a no brainer.

Last edited:

00EddieExpy

Reaction score
Ditto on trading from Grand Cherokee, had a 2002 GC that I bought new, had 137,000 on it's 4.7, never had a problem with the engine but everything else was terrible, power windows, A/C, power sterring, etc,etc. Traded it for a 2000 Eddie Bauer on the local Ford lot with 124,000 (now has 129,000) a few months ago and what a difference! This thing is like a new vehicle, so quiet and smooth and comfortable - great for camping and towing our pop-up, like it isn't even back there. I swear if I hit Powerball tomorrow I would keep this truck. Hoping to see well over 200,000.

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ditto on trading from Grand Cherokee, had a 2002 GC that I bought new, had 137,000 on it's 4.7, never had a problem with the engine but everything else was terrible, power windows, A/C, power sterring, etc,etc. Traded it for a 2000 Eddie Bauer on the local Ford lot with 124,000 (now has 129,000) a few months ago and what a difference! This thing is like a new vehicle, so quiet and smooth and comfortable - great for camping and towing our pop-up, like it isn't even back there. I swear if I hit Powerball tomorrow I would keep this truck. Hoping to see well over 200,000.

Thats funny as I have a 2002 4.7 limited!

The problems I had were all cooling and power steering related, but I did have to replace a few regulators t the updated version and the AC blew cold but was terrible on a hot day (usually took 45min+ to cool the vehicle down). The hydraulic fan idea may have cooled the truck down better or more efficiently but man did it strain the power steering system and cause issues not to mention the clutter in an already small engine bay. Was a great ride but didnt suit the family and was lacking in alot of aspects. Sad as I fell in love with my aunt and uncles 5.9 GC only to be let down by the 4.7 GC...:facepalm:

For now the GC gets parked in the garage (when I get the time to break down the roof so it will fit and Ill get to it another day for a offroad only rig. There it was king but as a daddymobile it wasnt up to the task.