How to adjust brake/shifter interlock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wile E Coyote

Reaction score
A search didn't reveal answers, so here goes:

The floor shifter on my wife's 07 Expy had begun to intermittently not shift out of park. Did it once out of the blue and is now becoming a problem (read as MY problem now...you husbands and boyfriends know what I mean, :Big Laugh:)

I was driving it last night and got it to stick twice. Is it a switch at the brake pedal that's perhaps not being fully depressed or is whatever that locks the shifter not retracting as it should?

No combinations of pushing the shifter forward or pressing and releasing brake with my head turned to 73 degrees while touching my nose with my left index finger helped.:peace:

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there is an electric solenoid on the shifter that is activated when you push on the brake pedal. that solenoid is going bad.

OP
OP
W

Wile E Coyote

Reaction score
there is an electric solenoid on the shifter that is activated when you push on the brake pedal. that solenoid is going bad.

Yep, the wife came home from work so I goofed with the truck a bit and found the brake switch (which looked properly adjusted by my quick check) and could hear the solenoid clicking repeatedly as I quickly tapped the brakes a few dozen times...worked every time slick as could be of course. No way would the problem show itself in the safety of the driveway.

Kreutz73

Reaction score
My 07 started doing this as well. Intermittent to start but now it is usually stuck once put into park. Have to use the manual shift release (under the small tab in the top left corner of the shifter trim).

Has anyone changed the shift lock controller before? I don't have the shop manual so I can't locate/identify the part.

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the service manual:

The brake shift interlock actuator (BSIA) is not serviced individually. If installation of a new BSIA is required, install a new floor shift selector lever assembly.

Matt

Kreutz73

Reaction score
That's usually the case for the actuator (solenoid) but more often than not the solenoid is fine. There should also be a controller that does the logic and gives the actuator the 'ok' to actuate. I'm guessing I'm suffering from a controller issue because of the way it went from rarely getting stuck to almost all the time.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
other thing to check is if the brake lights are activating when its stuck in park. this is the issue with the older expeditions(ask me how i know)