Humming Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get a humming noise from the front end between 40 and 50 mph when on the gas. It sounds like its coming from the motor. If I go outside the 40 to 50 or let off the gas it stops. No one has been able to figure out what is causing the problem. The vehicle is an 03 Expy Eddie Bauer. Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at RPMs and coolant temps abd try to force it to do the same speed in another gear.... if it is SOLELY vehicle speed related, regardless of throttle position RPM gear and temperature then there are two distinct possibilities:

1) air leak in weatherstripping or sound caused by air rushing at/thru an aftermarket accessory or unique damage point specific to your vehicle (puncture in bumper, aftermarket mirror or luggage rack, bent body panels fitting irregularly etc. that create a specific noticeable note at a specific airspeed)

2) tire(s) out of balance / damaged rims making noise most noticeably at a specific speed

OP
OP
J

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at RPMs and coolant temps abd try to force it to do the same speed in another gear.... if it is SOLELY vehicle speed related, regardless of throttle position RPM gear and temperature then there are two distinct possibilities:

1) air leak in weatherstripping or sound caused by air rushing at/thru an aftermarket accessory or unique damage point specific to your vehicle (puncture in bumper, aftermarket mirror or luggage rack, bent body panels fitting irregularly etc. that create a specific noticeable note at a specific airspeed)

2) tire(s) out of balance / damaged rims making noise most noticeably at a specific speed

Hi Adieu, I held the trans in 2nd gear and it still makes the noise after 40 mph. If I leave off the gas it stops. I guess that would rule out wind noise. Thanks for your reply.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Adieu, I held the trans in 2nd gear and it still makes the noise after 40 mph. If I leave off the gas it stops. I guess that would rule out wind noise. Thanks for your reply.

...but it subsides after 50mph?

Hmm... do you have switchable AWD/4WD? If yes, what happens if you switch to 4A?

OP
OP
J

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...but it subsides after 50mph?

Hmm... do you have switchable AWD/4WD? If yes, what happens if you switch to 4A?

AWD/4WD makes no difference. The noise is still there. It is harder to hear 45 and above because of the increased rpm in second gear.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John does it change tone as you slow down or does it make an oscillating or warbling sound as you slow down? I had a bad rear bearing and a transfer case bearing that made that kind of a noise but I really heard them clearly when I was coasting to a stop and they changed their tone.

Another thing is what kind of shape are your tires in. Tires with a low amount of tread can make weird noises. When we bought my daughter her 2007 Fusion, I thought it had a rear wheel bearing going out. The dealer said it was the tires. We replaced the tires and the noise went completely away. So that is something to look at as well.

OP
OP
J

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
John does it change tone as you slow down or does it make an oscillating or warbling sound as you slow down? I had a bad rear bearing and a transfer case bearing that made that kind of a noise but I really heard them clearly when I was coasting to a stop and they changed their tone.

Another thing is what kind of shape are your tires in. Tires with a low amount of tread can make weird noises. When we bought my daughter her 2007 Fusion, I thought it had a rear wheel bearing going out. The dealer said it was the tires. We replaced the tires and the noise went completely away. So that is something to look at as well.

The tone doesn't change, just goes away below 40 and hard to hear over 50. The tires are fine. It's the weirdest thing and no one has been able to figure it out. Thanks.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Record it and post video

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

gulfman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had a humming noise between 45mph and 60mph when on acceleration. Goes away on deceleration. At times it is hard to tell where it is coming from. This has been on going for a number of years. I found a TSB bulletin that fit the noise to some extent, in 2016. It was TSB 05-23-3. I took it to a Ford dealer in March of 2016 and the mechanic test drove it with me and said that he thought I was right. He said he had seen some other ford trucks with the same noise. He said that unless it got worse that he would let it go. I got a quote from the dealer to fix it per the TSB bulletin and that was $ 1,867. I have not fixed it yet. It is more noticeable in hot weather than cold weather. More noticeable the longer you drive in one trip. I don't know whether or not that is your problem. My Expedition is an Eddie Bauer 2003 with 52,000 miles.

OP
OP
J

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had a humming noise between 45mph and 60mph when on acceleration. Goes away on deceleration. At times it is hard to tell where it is coming from. This has been on going for a number of years. I found a TSB bulletin that fit the noise to some extent, in 2016. It was TSB 05-23-3. I took it to a Ford dealer in March of 2016 and the mechanic test drove it with me and said that he thought I was right. He said he had seen some other ford trucks with the same noise. He said that unless it got worse that he would let it go. I got a quote from the dealer to fix it per the TSB bulletin and that was $ 1,867. I have not fixed it yet. It is more noticeable in hot weather than cold weather. More noticeable the longer you drive in one trip. I don't know whether or not that is your problem. My Expedition is an Eddie Bauer 2003 with 52,000 miles.

Hi Bob, I have the same problem between 40 and 50 mph. Do you know how to access the TSB? My truck is also an 03 Eddie Bauer but with 115,000 miles and its been making that noise for years. I wouldn't put that much money into fixing it. I'm use to it by now.

That looks like a nice boat your towing. What is it. I also tow a boat with mine. Thanks

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani