I did two things to seriously mitigate the delayed shift from gear 4 to 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Downloaded Forscan Lite and purchased OBDLink MX+.

1. Cleared all adaptative data
2. Cleared transmission adaptative data
3. Stopped transmission adaptative learning feature

The transmission works silk smooth, and very very occasionally I can still fell the slightly 4 to 3 downshift delay.

Last edited:

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you had to guess, how many times have you turned over the engine since clearing the data?

BP 09

Reaction score
Be careful with disabling the adaptive. People are finding temporary success with it, but it's actually in place to help the TCM adapt to wear that happens within the transmission over time. I can see there being long term negative effects after people run without it for a few years. No one has been running without adaptive for long enough to truly know long term effects yet, but for what it's worth, many professional tuners leave adaptive learning in place for this reason.

A good transmission tune will fix pretty much any issue people complain about especially with chunkiness on here unless you have a mechanical issue with your trans. I have built several tunes for the 10r80 and on the 18-21 Expeditions and 17-20 F150s. Ford's latest shift configurations fix a lot of these issues in my experience as well. The coast down shift maps and downshift maps are so low in the RPM/Output Shaft speed range and close to other upshift maps that it's easy to see why people have downshift clunking.

Ford addressed this in their newer revisions that the 22 and up Expeditions get and the 21 and up F150s get. I address then in my own tuning as well.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's easy to use FORScan to:
1. Clear all adaptative data
2. Clear transmission adaptative data
But I would do a lot of research before disabling it.
It's like Auto start/stop. Disabling it causes other errors.

OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's easy to use FORScan to:
1. Clear all adaptative data
2. Clear transmission adaptative data
But I would do a lot of research before disabling it.
It's like Auto start/stop. Disabling it causes other errors.

Following the advice of user bmpcamry09, I just switched this feature back on yesterday. But still keep using the 2WD sport mode and premium gas. For start/stop, I would recommend 4D tech eliminator, it works very well on my vehicle. Just need to check the connectors, if something weird happens, to make sure they are not loose.

veedub

Reaction score
Be careful with disabling the adaptive. People are finding temporary success with it, but it's actually in place to help the TCM adapt to wear that happens within the transmission over time. I can see there being long term negative effects after people run without it for a few years. No one has been running without adaptive for long enough to truly know long term effects yet, but for what it's worth, many professional tuners leave adaptive learning in place for this reason.

A good transmission tune will fix pretty much any issue people complain about especially with chunkiness on here unless you have a mechanical issue with your trans. I have built several tunes for the 10r80 and on the 18-21 Expeditions and 17-20 F150s. Ford's latest shift configurations fix a lot of these issues in my experience as well. The coast down shift maps and downshift maps are so low in the RPM/Output Shaft speed range and close to other upshift maps that it's easy to see why people have downshift clunking.

Ford addressed this in their newer revisions that the 22 and up Expeditions get and the 21 and up F150s get. I address then in my own tuning as well.

What qualities should I look for in a shop that can do a good transmission tune on my '20? Would like to avoid the dealership due to crazy wait times requiring you to leave it at the dealership until they can diagnose it.

veedub

Reaction score
Downloaded Forscan Lite and purchased OBDLink MX+.

1. Cleared all adaptative data
2. Cleared transmission adaptative data
3. Stopped transmission adaptative learning feature

The transmission works silk smooth, and very very occasionally I can still fell the slightly 4 to 3 downshift delay.

You were able to to this using Bluetooth version OBDLink MX+? Were you using Android or iOS?

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What qualities should I look for in a shop that can do a good transmission tune on my '20? Would like to avoid the dealership due to crazy wait times requiring you to leave it at the dealership until they can diagnose it.
You would have to contact the shop to see if they perform that sort of
I used the Bluetooth OBDLink MX+ with my iPhone app Forscan Lite.
I wondered if it worked, as I asked the FORScan people and they said Configuration and programming functions (only in FORScan for Windows, require Extended License)
Here is a comparison chart of what can and can't be done with different versions. So maybe their documentation is old?
FORScan Comparison chart