I really like Expedition, but the terrible suspension is getting to me...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Something that doesnt seem as tlked about is ride degradation. Either due to tires, shocks or spring damage, body damage, etc. The expy, like most cars, suffers from ride degradation, but some are doing it faster than others, and the ccd opt also seems to be susceptible to it far more commonly than usual. Mines experienced it a little of 5k miles, where everything settled, then again after 15kish until i turned it in where it shook over bumps more often, the hits from sharp impacts were more pronounced and had a harsher step more occasionally. Still smooth, but right before turn in, i was told my shocks were leaking too.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is w/out a doubt the softest right - and it sucks in the turns and interstate overpass ramps....but I prefer eco for the shift strategy

Do you like the early Low rpm shifts? It gets kinda sluggish in eco for me, but man Sport setting is just obnoxious on the backroads as it screams the rpms in every gear.

Donald Bell

Reaction score
I feel the same way. I have the regular suspension and 20" wheels and while the front seat ride is tolerable, the ride in the rear seat is absolutely awful.

I like the looks of the 20s, but I want to go down to 17s with giant sidewalls so that I am actually comfortable. I was going to buy some takeoffs from an F150, but apparently the 17" F150 wheels don't fit properly.

If anyone can recommend a 17" wheel with no trimming/modding required, please let me know!!

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you like the early Low rpm shifts? It gets kinda sluggish in eco for me, but man Sport setting is just obnoxious on the backroads as it screams the rpms in every gear.

I like that it gets into 10th gear asap - Im an aggressive driver (there I admit it)....and im seeing 15-17mpg in mixed driving....I expect I could see 19-20 on the interstate.

the downshifts in eco mode are reasonable - I prefer it to hold 10th (especially on the interstate). I like the firmer ride in sport mode but its tough to get past 6 gear below 55 or even 60.

On a long (interstate/multi-state) drive - I may put it in sport mode, select 2wd, and MANUALLY shift it to keep it in 10th as long as possible.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel the same way. I have the regular suspension and 20" wheels and while the front seat ride is tolerable, the ride in the rear seat is absolutely awful.

I like the looks of the 20s, but I want to go down to 17s with giant sidewalls so that I am actually comfortable. I was going to buy some takeoffs from an F150, but apparently the 17" F150 wheels don't fit properly.

If anyone can recommend a 17" wheel with no trimming/modding required, please let me know!!

What about the rear seat ride is so unbearable? Ive been in the sec row, its nice enough. Never the 3rd row though.

Johnb21

Reaction score
I don't find the ride to be too soft in my '18 Limited. I was coming from a 2005 Tahoe z71 with bilstein 5100s. The Tahoe was softer, but with the Bilsteins the rebound was amazing (again for a truck). Maybe a bit more rebound would work well in the Expy, but it pretty much does in most factory cars, other than performance based.

Oklahoma Jim

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought my Expedition to have a comfortable, quiet, luxurious people and equipment mover. I love the ride and the handling is what I expected. I drove the truck before I bought it, of course, and there were no surprises after the purchase. If I had wanted a sports vehicle or a true off road vehicle, I would have bought something else.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like that it gets into 10th gear asap - Im an aggressive driver (there I admit it)....and im seeing 15-17mpg in mixed driving....I expect I could see 19-20 on the interstate.

the downshifts in eco mode are reasonable - I prefer it to hold 10th (especially on the interstate). I like the firmer ride in sport mode but its tough to get past 6 gear below 55 or even 60.

On a long (interstate/multi-state) drive - I may put it in sport mode, select 2wd, and MANUALLY shift it to keep it in 10th as long as possible.

Mine made over 24 mpg on the highway on my last cross country drive. I've got 3.73 gears too.

In sport, I agree its retarded how it holds the gears. 55 mph and its down 2-4 gears from 10th.