I really like Expedition, but the terrible suspension is getting to me...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think my CCD rides absolutely amazing as far as ride comfort. Its just the rear sway that needs to stop.
This is hands down the best riding vehicle I have ever owned.

The heavy sway bar is necessary in something so large with IRS.

I know they are different beasts, but I was talking to someone and the sway bar topic came up. They said they would be careful with a sway bar and electronic suspension unless something in the computer can be turned off. They may try to counter ascot each other and burn up a module.

He mentioned the RAM air suspension and there were issues with adding components to try to stiffen the ride and it ruining the electronic which were not covered under warranty.

Just saying. I don’t know enough to say anything more than that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im surprised theres nothing in forscan to lock the suspension in a specific mode.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know they are different beasts, but I was talking to someone and the sway bar topic came up. They said they would be careful with a sway bar and electronic suspension unless something in the computer can be turned off. They may try to counter ascot each other and burn up a module.

He mentioned the RAM air suspension and there were issues with adding components to try to stiffen the ride and it ruining the electronic which were not covered under warranty.

Just saying. I don’t know enough to say anything more than that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its all mechanical unlike the air suspension that is adjusting ride height.
I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. I can see that the air suspension couldn't tolerate that because it would be trying to adjust ride height with the air pressures and the bar would be fighting it.

Thanks for the idea tho, I guess I'll find out for sure! lol

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Question, what is everyone comparing the ride of their expy to, a previously owned expy, another fs suv, minivan, crossover, another type of vehicle? Also, did the test drive not give you the impression of the long term ride?

im comparing my ccd with the standard setup. No test drive of ccd. Would’ve required long trip to see one and was going off it being the higher end setup so it “had to be better.” Wrong.

also compared to my 97 f350, 96 f250, 94f150, and various other pickups I know it’s rough. Just too harsh of impact on bumps. The floating is strange but I don’t even notice it now. Haven’t been able to try out other drove modes since that was repaired.

Diverdown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Frankly I despise the modern trend of giant 20-22" wheels and thin, worthless tires. Nothing evens out a ride like a nice, beefy tire with a decent sidewall.

We’ll all be driving 24s by end of decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3DogRanch

Reaction score
This thread is confirming my choice to get the XLT with 18" wheels. No crazy electronic suspension, no twinky-duece wheels with zero sidewall, just solid, stable tracking on rough dirt roads. I have to take a 5 mile dirt road just to get to the highway everyday for work and even at 45-50 MPH on dirt, it works just fine. But so did my Tundra with Bilstein 5100's and 20's and 33x12's, so there's that.

Networkit

Reaction score
2018 Limited w/ 22” & CCD .. the suspension is horrid. We’ve had ours for a little over a year now and it seems to be getting worse - I’m going to check the shocks to see if any leaks but the constant wallowing, harsh hits on any significant bump in the road is not acceptable. I typically drive but times I’ve been in the back with my son, the ride feels like a cheap carnival roller coaster. Mine is a lease otherwise I’d do bilsteins and sway bar (only because seems to be common agreement here on forum)..otherwise we love the truck.