Ideas for 2001 Expy Repaint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1632280539096.jpeg

While this is not my car, it should give an idea. The color is Dark Toreador Red Metallic.

1) While I am not crazy about the color, I want to stick with it so that I don't need to pay to repaint inside the doors etc. I would like to pump it up a bit. Any suggestions to any metallic additive or other treatment to give it a more modern punch?

2) I intend to de-badge it, including the door guards. I am entertaining deleting the rear wiper system as a) The motor is bad and obsolete. b) It adds a ton of weight to the hatch. Any reason to talk me out of this? I am in Florida so clearing snow is not an issue. Once it is gone, the holes will be gone.

3) I am paying a paint shop to do the work. For the de-badging on the steel fenders and doors am I going to pay more for a body shop to weld up badge mounting holes versus using filler? I had a problem with filler shrinking on a previous vehicle. Any ideas for the ex wiper holes on the aluminum rear hatch?

4) The center third brake lamp assembly is badly weathered. Has anyone found a source?

5) I intend to retain the roof rack. Is there an aftermarket rail system that bolts to the OEM holes? Or should I refurb the old rails?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like the radiator support is rusted through. This is a Florida car and has never been north of the state line nor close to the coast for most of its life.. I guess I need to factor in a replacement of that as well. I need to find any other concealed rust damage.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That rust does not sound right for a southern non-coastal car. I'd be very suspect at this point. Check those rockers out really well. Take a magnet and check for bondo.

OP
OP
JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dont expect any bondo anywhere, but do need to check underneath and the rockers etc. I have owned it since 2003 and it was a local car to Tallahassee FL where I bought it. The problem is that it has spent its entire life outdoors and the front end very close to lawn sprinklers. Also a lot of leaves and tannic acid. So no surprise on the radiator bracket.