Ignition Cylinder ?'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lve2wheel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so some how we lost both keys to our truck. I have the dash already torn apart to replace the ignition cylinder. And looking at ordering a new cylinder and key set. My question is do I need to tow the truck to the dealer to have the pcm reflashed for the new key. Its a '97 expy, 4x4 xlt. I believe it does have anti-theft, but does NOT have the key pad on the door.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless there was something with the cylinder all the dealer has to do was cut new keys . Then program the pcm for the new keys. Had to have it done for an Expy at the last place I worked.

OP
OP
lve2wheel

lve2wheel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it cost 50 for a new cylinder and the dealer said with out a key they couldnt cut another one. theyd have to get a lock smith to do it and then reprogram the key

B

bedrck46

the locksmith should be able to do the whole job most likely cheaper than the dealership call and check around for a locksmith that does automotive systems

OP
OP
lve2wheel

lve2wheel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the locksmith should be able to do the whole job most likely cheaper than the dealership call and check around for a locksmith that does automotive systems

I can change the cylinder myself thats not really a huge deal. The dealer wants $80 for the same part i found every where else for $40-60 depending what brand you want to pay for.

Would the lock smith be able to cut the key and reprogram it? or would i still have to get it reprogrammed to start the truck?

B

bedrck46

he should be able to do it but again would be best to call them explain the problem and follow their advice