I'm new to this forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack your thread OP. Welcome aboard.

I usually buy my pistol ammo a case at a time. When I go to the range I'll shoot 2-3 hundred pistol rounds. I've gotten pretty accurate at 7 yards. Now I'm working on 15 yards. I'd love to do one of those combat ranges.

I usually buy ammo 2-3k at a time. Range trips for me always end up in the 1k rounds or more expenditures. 3-gun and Combat matches are ALOT of fun. Can be very hard on the body though depending on load out and match requirements (mag carriers/pouches, body armor, plates, etc.). That's typically on your higher end match, most basic matches you 'run what you brung' and just there to have fun and hone skills. I'll never be able to compete at any serious level again, so now its just retaining skill.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I usually buy ammo 2-3k at a time. Range trips for me always end up in the 1k rounds or more expenditures. 3-gun and Combat matches are ALOT of fun. Can be very hard on the body though depending on load out and match requirements (mag carriers/pouches, body armor, plates, etc.). That's typically on your higher end match, most basic matches you 'run what you brung' and just there to have fun and hone skills. I'll never be able to compete at any serious level again, so now its just retaining skill.
I hear you. At 59 I just want to fine tune my skills and get better at point and click.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Push your target out to 25 yards. All your errors will be properly magnified. Same sight picture with a handgun as the sights and bore are very close. Take the first acceptable sight picture. Doesn't have to be exact, the 0 zone is 8 or 9 inches diameter. Cloverleaf group only means you're not shooting fast enough. :)

If you've not taken a professional 3-day training course in several years and can't get to Gunsite see if Jeff Gonzales or Scott Reitz is in your area. A 3-day course can burn thru 2000 rounds. Both Jeff and Scott will push you well beyond your comfort zone. Uncle Scotty had us shooting weak hand/one hand and non-dominant eye two summers ago. He taped over the lens on our dominate eye glasses. Not only non-dominant but one-eyed. He'll make you a believer in ambidextrous M1911 frame safeties as well.

My shipping department just takes the ammo crates out to my car when it comes...

Expedition content: The ammo fits in the truck. ;)

-- Chuck

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Push your target out to 25 yards. All your errors will be properly magnified. Same sight picture with a handgun as the sights and bore are very close. Take the first acceptable sight picture. Doesn't have to be exact, the 0 zone is 8 or 9 inches diameter. Cloverleaf group only means you're not shooting fast enough. :)

If you've not taken a professional 3-day training course in several years and can't get to Gunsite see if Jeff Gonzales or Scott Reitz is in your area. A 3-day course can burn thru 2000 rounds. Both Jeff and Scott will push you well beyond your comfort zone. Uncle Scotty had us shooting weak hand/one hand and non-dominant eye two summers ago. He taped over the lens on our dominate eye glasses. Not only non-dominant but one-eyed. He'll make you a believer in ambidextrous M1911 frame safeties as well.

My shipping department just takes the ammo crates out to my car when it comes...

Expedition content: The ammo fits in the truck. ;)

-- Chuck
I will eventually go to 25 yards but I want to get my 15 yd groups like my 7 yd groups, then I'll move on to a longer distance. I've never taken a course, I'd like to someday. I shoot left and right handed and one handed and well as two handed.

Rigpig

Reaction score

I'm a 3-gunner as well. Been competitively shooting for 5 years or so. Cool that there's some of us on these boards!

ETA: about the only reason I had in mind to buy an Expedition in the first place was to get all my gear to the range, rain or shine.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
A professional training course will shock you with what you don't know and the bad habits you've adopted on your own. Assuming you're referring to defensive shooting the groups are unimportant. What's important is how fast you can put a round (or better two) center of mass. That's a 9" diameter area. Out of the holster. There are no second prizes. Nor are there handicap tiers as in the gun games. There's a reason the M1911s run in their own group -- to make the game "fair."

Most guys, though, would just rather pretend and are satisfied with afternoon "courses" or the internet. :)

-- Chuck

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A professional training course will shock you with what you don't know and the bad habits you've adopted on your own. Assuming you're referring to defensive shooting the groups are unimportant. What's important is how fast you can put a round (or better two) center of mass. That's a 9" diameter area. Out of the holster. There are no second prizes. Nor are there handicap tiers as in the gun games. There's a reason the M1911s run in their own group -- to make the game "fair."

Most guys, though, would just rather pretend and are satisfied with afternoon "courses" or the internet. :)

-- Chuck

This. There is a world of difference between competition shooting and defensive shooting. You don't get points for a tight group on a bad guy. Odds are that merely pulling the trigger on your weapon can be enough to upset their gameplan and cause them to skeedaddle. And thats the whole point of defensive shooting.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm a 3-gunner as well. Been competitively shooting for 5 years or so. Cool that there's some of us on these boards!

ETA: about the only reason I had in mind to buy an Expedition in the first place was to get all my gear to the range, rain or shine.

Looks like we need a shooters sub-forum here!

FYI: it is feasible to lay in the back of the Expedition with the seats folded down and shoot out the back with the gate open. Contrary to popular belief, even a 22.5" barreled AR-10 with a massive brake and hot match ammo won't blow out windows. I definately have a piece of 3/4" plywood under the barrel though.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score

-- Chuck

There is so much truth here. Train, train, train. Practice drawing and dry-firing at a bare minimum 2 hours a week with your carry weapon. Sudden attacks, surprise, fear and massive adrenaline rush degrades fine motor skills and the thought process. "Muscle memory" and instinctual reaction is what will save your life. Shooting under pressure (3-gun matches, courses, etc.) especially with other shooters and distractions around you helps with maintaining discipline and concentration under hard circumstances.

I could talk for hours about shooting. Only thing I don't like about it is the $$$$$ involved.

Oh, and 1911/2011 is a topic that will require a whole discussion thread of its own.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69