Impact of Heavy Duty Tow Package (w/ 3.73 axle ratio) on MPG gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tow package,lift,tires,rack,Max. Combined city, HWY and towing.
f4615e4fca1dc9faee4593ea029d16d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tow package,lift,tires,rack,Max. Combined city, HWY and towing.
f4615e4fca1dc9faee4593ea029d16d6.jpg

Yikes.
Mines almost always 18 for average overall. It doesn't get run super hard, but it gets a lot of short trips.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t tow anything but do have a heavy foot...that being said, I get about 15 combined. I’m not a crazy person on the road, but even when I try to baby it, I can’t EVER get over 17mpg on a tank. (Road trips are different, then I get about 20.)

I’m not complaining, I didn’t buy this thing to be efficient. But (and the whole point of this post...I know, I’m just now getting here):

I assume Platinums get worse gas mileage, we’d have to, right? Our engines are tuned higher (400hp v 375hp). That power means more fuel. Navis are different because it’s the Raptor motor, so they have different parts AND tuning to give them more power. I’d just be interested to see if the platinum owners around here get worse mileage than everyone else.

I’m sure some platinum owners have chimed in about their mileage, but I don’t really remember a thread where we compared mpg based on trim. We’ve talked about HD tow vs no, and 4wd v 2wd, but not trim level.

Has anyone else noticed?

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yikes.
Mines almost always 18 for average overall. It doesn't get run super hard, but it gets a lot of short trips.

If it’s just HWY driving it will get 18 mpg. It’s pretty close to what my 16’ 3.5 EcoBoost F-150 would get and my 6.7 would get 14 combined and 18 HWY. not disappointed at all. Mine is a Platinum, but I don’t think 25 HP would make a difference.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it’s just HWY driving it will get 18 mpg. It’s pretty close to what my 16’ 3.5 EcoBoost F-150 would get and my 6.7 would get 14 combined and 18 HWY. not disappointed at all. Mine is a Platinum, but I don’t think 25 HP would make a difference.

Agree. Not really much difference in output, and the fuel consumption should be equal unless you are deep into the gas pedal a lot.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I must be a lead foot then because I get the same or worse than you guys and I have a 2wd with tow. It indicated over 20.5 a few days ago on a 130 mile round trip. Cruise was set to about 68 most of the time. Had quite a few hills though. It was showing 22 something when I reset it on the road until I passed a few people.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I must be a lead foot then because I get the same or worse than you guys and I have a 2wd with tow. It indicated over 20.5 a few days ago on a 130 mile round trip. Cruise was set to about 68 most of the time. Had quite a few hills though. It was showing 22 something when I reset it on the road until I passed a few people.

I've proven the cruise kills 3-4 mpg on the highway..... Its horribly inefficient.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get about 12mpg towing my 5000lb camper. Still better than the suv with Hemi that I had so can't complain but the non-towing mileage is WAY better than the hemi was. A light foot, eco, and long distance has netted me pretty good fuel mileage (20-23). Most of the time the short around town trips my wife makes we get pretty bad mileage (13-15) but again that is still better than the Hemi was getting in the same situation. Considering this thing is way bigger than my commander was I think the mileage is amazing.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the fuel consumption should be equal unless you are deep into the gas pedal a lot.

This. Peak hp numbers are irrelevant to mpg. Often times a tuned turbo motor will get better hiway mileage than factory tune. Especially if you let the motor breathe better with an intake and exhaust. However the oems are getting much better at tuning (mostly because of direct injection) so that is happening less often now.

OP
OP
S

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
From what I've seen so far from browsing a lot of vehicles, I thought that the "pro trailer backup assist" feature and the drive mode dial with 4 buttons surrounding it (adding the tx case lock and 4L mode) were a standard part of the HD Tow package. But I came across the one linked below, which apparantly has the package, but is missing these features/controls. Does that sound right?
https://www.zeckfordsales.net/used/Ford/2019-Ford-Expedition-c98e99f60a0e0a171b3402a3c90d78cb.htm#