In a bind, no AWD/4HI/4LO :-(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Team!

Gen 1, 1997 Eddie Bauer Expy. Recent service was rotating tires, fuel filter, and PCV valve several weeks ago.

I turned the little knob today from 2HI to AWD/4HI/4LO and NOTHING happened, not even a click, no lights, no clunk(s), nada.

Re-read a few earlier posts from this year, but am stumped as where to start.

Fuses seem to be o.k., and haven't started chasing the vacuum lines, but am thinking the center solenoid off the front diff as a place to start, or the vacuum lines behind the battery or on the firewall. The vacuum gauge (boost) works and shows both boost and 22 inches on decel/coast etc.

Could it be a gremlin, or perhaps an easy fix? I pulled the center console and checked the pigtail to the rotator knob, however to no avail; all seems GTG.

The lights all come on when starting up, thus not the bulbs.

Any/all help certainly appreciated via the ether as I troubleshoot.

Thanks & Best,
PanHandler.

MoHawk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Run it in 2WD...

Sorry, wish I could be more help but my truck is RWD only.

B

bedrck46

I realize that you said you checked the fuses. There are 4 fuses that could effect the circuit. #17 in the power distribution box (engine compartment) and #13,23 and 15 in the junction box (pass compartment) in looking at the service manual the first thing it states to check is fuse #15 should be a 5A fuse

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shift motor is a common one to go out. The fact you do not get anything tells me that after fuses, it is probably that. I would think if you pulled it out you could put power and see if it engages. Just a thought.

reefkrazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same issue right know. I cannot get an answer to whether or not power comes from the shift motor. I have a new shift motor on order. From what I have read, the shift motor is the major reason for failing 4 x 4. Its cold and wet up here so I haven't crawled under her to see I can read anything as far as power in shift motor.

B

bedrck46

being its cold and wet you may be having a leak from the windshield which could be dripping on the gem again check fuse #15 which is power for the gem

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
being its cold and wet you may be having a leak from the windshield which could be dripping on the gem again check fuse #15 which is power for the gem

I would think if he lost power to the GEM he would be seeing many other issues. Pretty much anything not essential to engine operation runs through the GEM. No GEM means no windshield wipers etc.

B

bedrck46

you may be right but what harm does it do to at least check a fuse also could be the start of other problems if the gem is getting wet

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
If all the fuses are good, then my guess is shift motor.

Is there a vacuum accumulator in the system? I'm not sure if the center axle disconnect will stay locked when you hit the gas and get in to the boost.