inop rear wiper motor / wiring and washer on a 2002

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ah, good points... I was testing with lift gate open !

will try again with these considerations.

OP
OP

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Viola ! Thanks everyone.... not done yet but heading in the right direction now.

so with the liftgate closed now, the rear washer is working in both direction (top and bottom of multifunction switch).

Simple thins so easily over looked..... I did not see a switch around the lift gate that would sense it open though... where is that located?

in INT1, the Black Wire with Blue trace now comes up on 12v and still the Purple (Yellow trace) Wire has its 12v.

I think this is good for the time being until I go get a decent wiper motor from Junk Yard later today. I will open it up and check that the gear is not cracked like my old one.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
where did you get your replacement motor? My rear wiper also doesn't work- or works sporadically. I've taken it apart and noticed the teeth on the ring gear have been mashed by the worm gear which causes it to bind up.

Hit By Thunder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your wiring diagrams and you will find that there is only 1 pump in the reservoir The electrical circuit will reverse the positive voltage to the pump motor causing it to reverse direction. When the pump runs in one direction it provides fluid to the front and when the pump runs in the opposite direction it will provide fluid to the rear.

This applies to all 1st gen washer systems

Yes you are exactly correct. I remember looking at the reservoir and seeing two, but one is for the low washer fluid light. The other is the pump with two fluid lines. I am wrong and thanks for pointing it out. Sorry for the miss information I lead on....:025:

OP
OP

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, I have wrapped up this project now....

Today I picked up a motor assembly and wiper arm from i think a 98 or 99 expedition at the junk yard for 11 bucks. When i pulled it, it was cleaner than what mine had been. I did carefully remove the bracket and then the gear cover to make sure the gear was in good condition and the armature shaft seemed tight into place. I wonder if damage to that area (bottom shaft at gear occurs due to under torquing the wiper arm bolt???

I tested it in the parking lot after simply connecting the harnesses together, yep all 4 positions are functioning. I wrapped it up at home with the reinstall of the panels.

So lessons learned... yep the liftgate must be closed.... Or its position switch needs adjusted while testing. Start simple before trying to over complicate things. It does kinda suck being inside the 2nd and 3rd row bouncing back and forth to engage the multi function switch and check the rear wiper motor / wiring :)

Thanks everyone !

Last edited: