Instrument Cluster Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone had this happen?
upload_2018-3-13_23-19-10.png

The right side of the speedometer looks alot dimmer than the rest of the instruments. I have this issue on both my 06 Limited and my 06 King Ranch. Bad bulb?

If it is a bad bulb can it be replaced? Hoping so then I'll just replace all of them with LED's when I tear it down? Has anyone done this before? Hard? Medium difficulty? Easy?

FRD88

Reaction score
I just fixed mine a couple days ago. There are several very small replaceable bulbs that twist in. I am in the middle of putting in a new Kenwood radio and figured I would fix this at the same time. Just a warning Ford wanted 42 dollars a bulb, so I went to local junkyard and got several for far less. I do have spares and if you would like to purchase one or two I would be happy to sell and ship you some.

Its really pretty easy, I would just recommend a good trim tool or you could probably get by with a small pocket screwdriver. Other than that all you will need is a 7mm wrench and/or socket.

Basically you: 1-pop off the trim (only two bolts on top above instrument cluster then the rest pops off) 2-unplug sensors on trim 3-remove shift indicator (one bolt on the column which doesn't have to be completely removed just loosen enough that its loose and you can move it around then two tabs on bottom of instrument cluster and pull down, be careful not to break the small black tube which has the cable inside) 4-remove two screws the hold on instrument cluster on bottom and pull out 5-unplug instrument cluster 6-replace bulb. I didn't go with LEDs because there are so many options out there I didn't want to end up with cheap stuff and have to replace them regularly and I new there were some at the local yard.

I would post pics of the process but I just dropped of the Expy at a bumper shop for a new custom front bumper. If you need any pics I can get them in a couple days because my dash is still mostly apart and I will be at the shop sometime this weekend to finalize the bumper color.

upload_2018-3-14_14-21-5.png upload_2018-3-14_14-21-13.png

FRD88

Reaction score
I tried to pull it out of the holder and the Ford rep said it was soldered in. Here is a comparison to a 194 bulb. Funny how I actually had both of these with me today.

upload_2018-3-14_14-39-39.png

OP
OP
R

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just fixed mine a couple days ago. There are several very small replaceable bulbs that twist in. I am in the middle of putting in a new Kenwood radio and figured I would fix this at the same time. Just a warning Ford wanted 42 dollars a bulb, so I went to local junkyard and got several for far less. I do have spares and if you would like to purchase one or two I would be happy to sell and ship you some.

Its really pretty easy, I would just recommend a good trim tool or you could probably get by with a small pocket screwdriver. Other than that all you will need is a 7mm wrench and/or socket.

Basically you: 1-pop off the trim (only two bolts on top above instrument cluster then the rest pops off) 2-unplug sensors on trim 3-remove shift indicator (one bolt on the column which doesn't have to be completely removed just loosen enough that its loose and you can move it around then two tabs on bottom of instrument cluster and pull down, be careful not to break the small black tube which has the cable inside) 4-remove two screws the hold on instrument cluster on bottom and pull out 5-unplug instrument cluster 6-replace bulb. I didn't go with LEDs because there are so many options out there I didn't want to end up with cheap stuff and have to replace them regularly and I new there were some at the local yard.

I would post pics of the process but I just dropped of the Expy at a bumper shop for a new custom front bumper. If you need any pics I can get them in a couple days because my dash is still mostly apart and I will be at the shop sometime this weekend to finalize the bumper color.

View attachment 24260 View attachment 24261

Thanks for the information. It is probably going to be a couple of weeks (at least) before I get around to working on the instrument cluster as I just completed a full Exterior LED upgrade.

If you could get some pictures of the process that would be awesome. Thanks. In the mean time, let me do a little research and see if I can find out what the size of those bulbs is.

FRD88

Reaction score
I should have listed the part number earlier for you. FYI this is for my 05 Expy and I have the same dash as the first pic you posted so should be the same. You also won't find them at local part stores it seems to be a dealer item.

4L5Z-10K925-AA

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I have been able to find out searching a couple of auto parts websites these are 161 bulbs. The LED equivalent seems to be a T10. I am going do some further investigation tomorrow when a couple of places here open up. I checked TASCA parts and the prices they had were nowhere near what you said your local dealer quoted you.

The black part is called a retainer and they can be had separately from the bulb for around $20 and change.
The bulb themselves can be had separately for $7 and change.

Having seen that they can be purchased separately, makes me reasonably certain that the bulbs would not be soldered to the retainer. Furthermore (and I admit to be no expert on the subject) to my knowledge there is no way to get solder to stick to glass.

In fact, now that I think about it, the front map lights in the ceiling are the same although they are 194 bulbs.

Perhaps the bulb you were trying to remove overheated at some point and the plastic inside the retainer melted to the bulb? I couldn't say for sure without having a look at one of them myself.

anyway, that was all the information I was able to dig up tonight. I have the day off tomorrow so I may just kill the day away taking my dash apart and having a look see for myself.