Instrument cluster swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Does anyone know or has anyone ever swapped the instrument cluster from a like year f150 truck to the expedition? The truck has the additional gauges that would be great to have, i.e.. trans temp. Not sure if this is in another topic, did a quick search and didn't really find anything. Sorry if this is a repost.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know or has anyone ever swapped the instrument cluster from a like year f150 truck to the expedition? The truck has the additional gauges that would be great to have, i.e.. trans temp. Not sure if this is in another topic, did a quick search and didn't really find anything. Sorry if this is a repost.
I've not heard of anyone doing that but with time and patience anything is possible. The trick will be whether or not you have the sensors to connect to the instrument panel. I'm not sure if the connectors will be the same or if you will have to rewire them.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wouldnt an android headunit with bluetooth OBD software be a better & cheaper solution??

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I hate about our clusters is that the oil pressure is just a switch that doesn’t show true pressure and I believe it’s the same with engine temp. I.E it won’t tell you it’s high until an overheat condition happens.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What I hate about our clusters is that the oil pressure is just a switch that doesn’t show true pressure and I believe it’s the same with engine temp. I.E it won’t tell you it’s high until an overheat condition happens.

You are correct about the oil pressure sensor Its just a switch
However the engine temp or Cylinder Head Sensor is a sensor that as the temp changes so does the signal it sends to the PCM which in turn gives a temp reading on the gauge

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you could do that. You learn something new every day.

Yep, Torque for Android can have a custom screen with gauges for any reading that the OBD can scan

Screenshot_2017-11-01-20-24-38.png

You have to customize it a bit to add one for tranny temps, though, at least the free Torque Lite version... but it does have the option afaik

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
I have a cheap tablet that I run in the SUV now for the temps that I want to monitor.. I was just more curious if anyone had done this and what it would take...

Thanks for all the input.