Intake manifold broken wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dthsmarsh

Reaction score
Hello all ...

2005 Ford Expedition Limited, 4x4, Auto Trans

I had to remove my intake manifold to get at the Charge Motion Control Valve (CMCV) to fix a code P2004 issue. When I finally got it out, I found a wire underneath it broken (actually 2 seperate wires in 1 sheathing). I cannot see where it went to or what it does. The other end goes a few inches back and then disappears between where the engine and transmission bell housing mates up (actually looks pinched). I've researched it but cannot figure out where it goes or what it does. Anyone help me out there??

See attached pics ... hopefully you can see in the mirror where the other end seems to go.

Thanks!!

Dave

Attachments

• 2005 expedition intake manifold broken wire.jpg
    2005 expedition intake manifold broken wire.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 3,863
  • DSCF1823.jpg
    DSCF1823.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 677

Richard Lewis

Reaction score
Im happening to do the same repair today on mine i took a pic dont see the wire mines a 2005 xlt 4x4 should be the same unless yours is a 4.6 anyways did you see any visuable problem with yours mine looked good from the outside i took it apart and looked ok also so im hoping it will take care of my p2004 code

Attachments

• IMAG0048.jpg
    IMAG0048.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 6,929
OP
OP
D

dthsmarsh

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Richard.

Our's should be identical. If you still have your's apart, can you see any kind of wire going behind the left/rear side of the engine (right side in our pics), sandwiched between the engine/bell housing?

It doesn't look like it belongs there. I've got the factory repair/wire manual on CD, and I've researched all the sensors and nothing comes up as being in that area from what I can see. And there's no trace of where the other half of the wire is. It looks cut to me, so maybe the previous owner or repair shop did something or there was some kind of Service Bulletin that took it out or re-routed it?

I guess if I can't figure it out I'll just put it back together as is and hope for the best. Hopefully this will fix my P2004 problem as well ... let me know how your's turns out.

By the way, I've also had a lack of power and very poor gas mileage I've been trying to figure out, and up until recently did not have any codes to go on, so I'm hoping this P2004 issue will be fixed along with the power/mileage issues. Did you have any other performance issues that went along with your P2004 code?

Thanks again,
Dave

Richard Lewis

Reaction score
i just put mine back together but i looked last night and that wire isnt on mine im wondering if it was a mistake from the factory. i drove my truck so far for a couple of hours and no check engine light so i think it took care of it usualy after i clear the code it would come on in a few minitutes so i think its done.

OP
OP
D

dthsmarsh

Reaction score
Could be a mistake ... looks like someone did cut it away and where that wire goes into the back of the engine like that (not routed through a "normal" means like an access hole or something but pinched through the housings) it could just be one of those things. I just picked this vehicle up a couple months ago with 128K miles already on it (previous history unknown), so for all I know it could be a different engine that was swapped in and that wire isn't used on the Expedition.

Did you have any performance related issues with your code P2004, like lack of power or mileage, or was it just the check engine light on without a corresponding issue? Right after I got the code, I ran some Sea Foam through the gas tank and some more through the intake vacuum line, and the truck picked right up, had great power and the mileage even went from 9 MPG to 15 MPG ... for a day. Then the code P2004 came back and the power and mileage went back away, so I'm hoping when I fix the CMCV, all the problems will go away too.

Thanks!

Richard Lewis

Reaction score
I have had really bad gas milage since the code so hopefully this will help with it but i didnt have any other running proplems with the truck with the code. Your truck might just need a tune up new plugs and cops. wich plugs can be a pain to do not to get at but getting them out of the head there is a whole procedure on changing the plugs on these motors but once there off i put antiseize on the threads and there easy to get off the next time.