Intermittent battery light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mothra

Reaction score
I could use some insight on this issue. The battery light on the dash comes on intermittently. This has been ongoing since I bought the truck last month. I tested the battery. Solid voltage. I tested the alternator. Good charging.

I’ve seen in other threads issues with the voltage regulator on the alternator as a possible issue. How to test?

Serpentine belt looks good. I have not replaced the tensioner.

Or a wiring issue causing a short.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve seen in other threads issues with the voltage regulator on the alternator as a possible issue. How to test?
Your local Auto Zone can test the alternator and the voltage regulator at the same time with it still on the truck.

Another simple test you can do is a Voltage Drop Test to check the battery wires, connections and make sure you are not dropping ground somewhere.

Also post your truck's year and trim in your post or you can put it in your signature.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could use some insight on this issue. The battery light on the dash comes on intermittently. This has been ongoing since I bought the truck last month. I tested the battery. Solid voltage. I tested the alternator. Good charging.

Serpentine belt looks good. I have not replaced the tensioner.

Or a wiring issue causing a short.

You may want to post the year, make, model and engine of your vehicle.

Have you removed the battery terminal connectors, and cleaned the connectors and battery terminals (with a terminal brush)?