Intermittent no crank when very cold. Good battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ristin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2000 Expy 5.4 Eddie Bauer 144,000 miles
Over the past 7 years of owning this truck very very occasionally when the air temps drop below 20* the starter will not crank. I have a good battery and the connections are good. When I turn the key to the start position, I hear a relay click. Can't tell if said relay is under the hood or under the dash. The starter does not try to engage and the battery voltage doesn't drop like its being subjected to a heavy load. Its intermittent though. Day before yesterday air temp was 12 and it started no problem. Yesterday temp was 2 and wouldn't start.
I'm don't know where to start on the diagnosing

OP
OP
Ristin

Ristin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
little troubleshooting. Found the positive terminal was cracked, it looked tight but wasn't. Installed a universal terminal until I can order a terminal crimping tool and fix this correctly.

However that did not solve the no start condition. Using a screwdriver I jumped the lugs on the starter relay and could hear the starter solenoid click. Tapped on the starter with a hammer, still no go. Using a heat gun I applied heat to the starter for a couple minutes and was able to start the engine. Guessing the starter is going bad and very cold temps effect it.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah if it's the original starter I wouldn't be surprised. When you replace it get one from a NAPA dealer, or order a Motorcraft from Rock Auto online. Don't use anything from freakin Advance Auto or the like ...

Ford 5.4 Starters at Rock Auto

337-1053_Primary__ra_p.jpg

OP
OP
Ristin

Ristin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks! I was wondering about that. The price difference between the O'Reillys house brands and the Motorcraft is significant but I'll pay the extra $$$ to avoid having to do the job twice.

OP
OP
Ristin

Ristin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yesterday I discovered I can get the starter to engage if I keep bumping the relay with a screwdriver. Takes a dozen or so bumps but once the starter spins, its good for the rest of the day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FukNshT