Intermittent starter problem. All electrical checks out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, it's getting cold again and the problem I had last year is coming back. Get into truck, try to start it. CLICK. I can do this once or twenty times before it actually turns over the engine. The engine can be cold, warm or up to operating temperature and still It can sometimes not start on the first hit.

last year I checked all of the electrical and cleaned the battery terminals. I even cut fresh copper for the terminals as that was corroded too. still had the intermittent problem. cleaned the starter terminals but they weren't dirty to begin with. still happened. as it got warmer the problem stopped. I need to get something like this so I can see if the voltage drops out but i don't see any signs of the starter pulling any current when this happens.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the starter solenoid. Next time it doesn't start, jump the two large lugs on the solenoid. If the starter spins then the solenoid contact plate is worn inside.

RockAuto has good ones for under $25.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the starter solenoid. Next time it doesn't start, jump the two large lugs on the solenoid. If the starter spins then the solenoid contact plate is worn inside.

Would this allow the solenoid to still make the clunk noise I can hear coming from the firewall where it's mounted? If so It's a wonder no one mentioned this last year when I asked the same question.

rock auto has one from airtex/wells for $7.85 and the motorcraft is $21. which would would you recommend?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes it will make the sound since the plunger still works. These are similar to ignition points but they need to live with a high current draw. Over time they will "burn or pit" just like the old school points, making them useless.

You get what you pay for... I always go for the better brands - only want to do repair work once.

You can also have an issue with the starter, I'd jump the lugs first to verify the solenoid is bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I want to do, is jump the leads, but the problem is that this starting problem is so random I don't know when it's going to not start or actually turn over. I will do some research on the part numbers and look for reviews, I will likely just grab the motorcraft one though, after all. this one has almost done 300k worth of daily driving

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The miles really don't matter, it is the number of cycles of starting. But if it is the original, 17 years is darn good.

I'd use the redneck starting method for the next 20-25 starts to see if the starter has a problem. Everything electrical "wears or ages".

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
with me, it gets 5+ starts a day on the weekends. to only twice a day 5 days a week then none on the weekend. this varies on which pay check it is thanks to bills. but the fuel prices dropping lets me go farther so the problem is showing early this year.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How old is the starter? As they wear, the brushes can lose good contact with the armature and not allow the starter to crank the engine.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to say the starter is about 2 yrs old, possibly a reman along with the alternator and everything else that was cheaped out on. when I checked the terminals on the starter about a year ago they were practically mint and the bolts were secure, the case looked a bit cleaner than the trans and things around it as well. I vaguely remember the PO saying something about it not starting when he owned it. ( That was back when I worked daily with him on 2nd shift)

Yeah, you're right about the starter windings/brushes the thing is it's never had a hard start or a skip start where the starter appears to be labored or not all there. battery is also about two yrs, I suspect it was replaced before the original starter was as a diagnostic precaution.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, I finally caught it. it's somewhere in the starter. I washed her up today and when I went to start I got the click so I jumped the leads and it still clicked w/o the firewall solenoid in the picture. so, whatever other solenoid is left may be the problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik