is 5.4l v3 consider quiet engine ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turo

Reaction score
Mine is a little loud also. After doing research, I found out it is the cam phasers. It could also be the CVT Solenoids or the timing chain tensioner(s). Mine is a 5.4 liter so if you have the same, do a Google search and a lot of info will come up on the diesel sound. So far I drive it 300 miles a week on the highway and all is good. I'm thinking I'll tackle this job in the fall. Good luck yo!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
2005Expedition

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is a little loud also. After doing research, I found out it is the cam phasers. It could also be the CVT Solenoids or the timing chain tensioner(s). Mine is a 5.4 liter so if you have the same, do a Google search and a lot of info will come up on the diesel sound. So far I drive it 300 miles a week on the highway and all is good. If thinking I'll tackle this job in the fall. Good luck yo!!

any check engine light ? how many miles ? I think mine already been done cam phaser since its had 180k miles, I heard it fail aroud 60k-120k miles.

turo

Reaction score
any check engine light ? how many miles ? I think mine already been done cam phaser since its had 180k miles, I heard it fail aroud 60k-120k miles.
Nah no CHL. Trk just hit 99k on Sunday. Just that annoying knocking. Idles great. For me I dunno what I want to do. I know for sure I'm going to replace the chains/guides/tensioners/crank gear. As for the phaser.... I'm not sure if I just want to get a phaser lockout kit and a tune or just replace the damn things. I'm gonna go with or ford phasers if I do. I read horror stories with Dorman phasers. Also, the weekend after the 4th I'm going to check the oil pressure with a manual gauge to make sure it's not an additional problem.

OP
OP
2005Expedition

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you get a phaser, get a a kit with the tunner and disable it, you loose about 15hp, but no noise again, unless the defective ford engine gonna blow. I think ford 5.4l 3v 04-06 is the worse engine ford ever build, and the 3.8 on ford winstar

OP
OP
2005Expedition

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if it drive good, and gas miles have not drop, leave it alone, not worth fix these thing. new reman engine is around 3k, fix these problem properly over 1500, if you do it yourself, then its ok.

OP
OP
2005Expedition

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Turo is your engine noise is all time even when u first crank in the morning ? mine having that tick noise only when engine is fully warm up, when it first crank in the morning it sound normal and no knock, tick or anything, just after drive around a bit and when it warm up, also the ticking noise disappear around 1200-1500 RPM.

turo

Reaction score
Turo is your engine noise is all time even when u first crank in the morning ? mine having that tick noise only when engine is fully warm up, when it first crank in the morning it sound normal and no knock, tick or anything, just after drive around a bit and when it warm up, also the ticking noise disappear around 1200-1500 RPM.
My engine has the same symptoms as yours. Cold starts it sounds great! No knock or tick. when it's at operating temperature it will knock at idle. once I get my trk above 1000 rpm it goes away.

OP
OP
2005Expedition

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
could be the CVT Solenoids , try this, disconnect the CVT while engine is running ( after it all warm up ) see if you have the sound.

I disconnect mine and the sound reduce alot, seem like mine is bad cvt solenoids ?

turo

Reaction score
Sweet. I'll give that a shot. Thx for the info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluesharktooth26