Is a 2001 Expedition the right truck for us?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skunkbutt

Reaction score
I bought my 98 new. I like the truck and have pulled my 4500 lb boat every summer. I have never thought the ride was good, reality is its very rough feeling every bump in the road. The transmission is sleepy unless you drive it hard. It was weak pulling up hills. so for me i do love the truck but never a great puller in my opine. Recently i installed a 2002 5.4 with a little more HP and torque, so maybe performance will improve. I have a 2007 Audi Q 7 4.3 that is far superior to the expedition, a much safer vehicle given the newer technology.
But I still like the expedition

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I currently drive a 2000 XLT 4x4 with the 5.4. Its my daily and i love it. It goes anywhere i want it. When it had 280k miles on it the head gasket started to leak oil on the passenger side but never coolant. I continued to drive it and it now has 401k miles on it. I love this thing so much I decided to bight the bullet and it is at the shop right now getting new head gaskets, exhaust manifold and timing chains. I know its sounds crazy but everything works on it and i know the entire history of the vehicle and i have an open check book policy when it comes to maintenance. Your treat these vehicles right and they will take care of you.

kayarre

Reaction score
I would go for it! I’ve had my 99 since new, minor usual maintenance. It’s been good to me. I tow about 9000 lbs. no problem. 110,000. Miles. I have the AWD 5.4 with towing package.
Good luck.

Hi Craig, What did the towing package include for your model year?

Craig Lasnier

Reaction score
Hitch and harness set up, beefed up transmission with a cooler. I think that was it, suspension seems beef up in the rear as well. Sorry I didn’t respond sooner.

pdqcarrera

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our 2000 Eddie Bauer 2WD was a very reliable primary race car tower for 10 years and then it was relegated to the kids' college ride duties. Now 175k and still runs strong in semi-retirement. Upgraded to Bilsteins. Beyond regular maintenance; replaced leveling compressor, new fuel pump, injectors, ball joints, brakes and rebuilt rear-end. A bit envious to see the clean ones here, because our paint didn't hold up well. Probably time to let it go...