Is it worth the cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MLKESQ

Reaction score
I have an 05 with 131k on the 5.4 3v. Confirmed oil pressure is 15 psi at hot idle and it rattles and knocks. Several local shops are quoting 7K for a reman installed and out the door. I like the truck but have only had it for 8 months and still owe about 1500 more than trade value. I have learned a lot from this site as a lurker and appreciate the opinions of the members here. Thanks in advance

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I have an 05 with 131k on the 5.4 3v. Confirmed oil pressure is 15 psi at hot idle and it rattles and knocks. Several local shops are quoting 7K for a reman installed and out the door. I like the truck but have only had it for 8 months and still owe about 1500 more than trade value. I have learned a lot from this site as a lurker and appreciate the opinions of the members here. Thanks in advance

You're in the same exact position I'm in (05 w/ 131k and can rattles) but damn bro 7k is the cheapest you could find?? I'm getting mine fixed for a quarter of that amount.

Search harder, make calls, and ask a lot of questions, but if you're lazy then oh well who am I to care it's your money...

OP
OP
M

MLKESQ

Reaction score
All the shops are giving quotes on the remanufactured motors with a range of 3750-4200 plus 20 hours (according to Mitchell's supposedly) labor at 90-100 per hour. The rest is fluids belts etc. It's a small community and the Dealer is no better on pricing...And has no used trucks of any sort older than 2014 models. No one wants to rebuild them here, and while I know only enough to be dangerous I don't have to tools and space to do it myself with the help of someone who knows what to do.

At best they will upgrade the pump and take care of the phasers, chains, guides etc for 2500-2800 as a band-aid. 100 bucks to diagnose...Another Franklin for an oil pressure test...A couple hours to pull the pan or the valve covers etc and I'll have 25% of the cost of the repairs in diagnosis on top of the plugs and coils I paid for a month ago.

Unfortunately Western Nebraska is not like Chicago. I Lived in Oak Park for two years 17 years ago. It's the big three dealers. Two to three independent shops with good reputations and technology/equipment for late model cars and the rest are retired heavy equipment mechanics that don't care to work on anything newer than 2000 and price accordingly.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dang MLKESQ, you are about the 4th person in 4 weeks with the same Ford curse. Its a sad, sad deal engines crapping out at 130k+-, that should be about mid prime of their life. Mine died at 104k and another guy on here at 99k. I was lucky I could fix mine myself
The information you have been given is about the same as all the posters have found. Sadly if you are not a mechanic or have a garage these rigs have no good or cheap answers for you. The quotes you have been given are certainly consistent with a quality rebuild, having just done my top end I know what parts costs are and that 3700-4500 is about right for a complete engine. Ebay has some in the 2600+ neighborhood but I would be REAL leery of them as you can't hardly buy the parts for that, much less the machine work and assembly. These are very, very expensive engines to rebuild as the parts needing replaced are many and the costs are high especially if using Ford OEM.
I can't give you any better advice then you have already heard. On top of the oil pump replacement, phasers, timing chain assemblies you will likely need lash adjusters and followers, another 300.00 plus installation.
The only other option is a used engine and dump it. Right now the rig is worth less then owed as it is broken. A sad, sad deal.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I hear ya snag, actually I have the garage, the tools, the connections, the resources and the know how to do this myself but man oh man free time is non existent for me thus for you either make money to spend money or you make nothing and do nothing...

Funny though, 10 years ago I had nothing but time on my hand but not a penny to spare, forward to now and I got a penny & a dollar but not a minute to spare.

OP
OP
M

MLKESQ

Reaction score
I hear ya snag, actually I have the garage, the tools, the connections, the resources and the know how to do this myself but man oh man free time is non existent for me thus for you either make money to spend money or you make nothing and do nothing...

Funny though, 10 years ago I had nothing but time on my hand but not a penny to spare, forward to now and I got a penny & a dollar but not a minute to spare.

I hear that. Three kids under 16 all involved in activities and my truck is the shuttle bus. My mechanic is telling me to send it down the road. Hate to do it but was looking at an 07 Yukon Denali xl with the 6.2, 157K miles and man that is a quiet motor in comparison. I could use the extra space and the buy is about 2k under book which helps get out from under mine.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, sadly its life. I had an old man tell me once that it is all wrong. The youth should have the money so as to do what they can for family and enjoy life. He said when you get older you may have the time and money but not the will or health, damned if he wasn't right.
I have said a number of times on the site, and haven't been jumped out yet, TG (since I am obviously a Ford owner) that the Chevy LS engines are far better then these modular engines. And my statement is confirmed every day. I don't know as I would buy an LS series GM with 157k unless very well priced, but certainly jump on one with 100k or less. The LS engines are more old school and much, much cheaper to maintain and repair. These modular engines are just a hand full, but yet some can get 200k or better with no problems. I bet your mechanic told you the same thing.
I bought my Expedition as a ditched one, but could do the work myself so a good value. Otherwise these things are best left to someone else. As one of the other members said last week Ford don't use their old slogan anymore "Ford, a better idea"

good luck, hate to hear of your luck. Its a huge financial strain on good american working families
Gary

OP
OP
M

MLKESQ

Reaction score
I was surprised to hear that 6.2 start with no clicks rattles knocks of any sort and it was clean with no valve cover leaks etc. I have a 2000 Durango with 250K on the 4.7 and it's never be touched, just maintained sine I bought it new and it still sounds like new. Maintenance and care is everything on all of them no matter the brand.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
YEP, I bought a number of rigs for my 30+ years in facility maintenance business , both new and used. I had more Fords then any brand, mostly because they make a work van that everyone seems to like and are plentiful and easy to find. And in the 90's bought a number of new Vortec chevys, and because of public bidding ended up with a few Dodges. Here is what I can say after all those years. The Dodges had the least problems or cost of ownership and the newer Fords (modular series engines) were by far the highest. The older Fords with the 302 or 351w would run forever, you couldn't kill them. We would eventually get rid of them because they would be so beat up. I only had a few of the later LS series chevy rigs and they had other problems but rarely engine, in fact I can only recall a water pump on one rig.
I have a 04 Dodge 1500 4x4 with the Hemi, 172k and really nothing. Although starting to notice it puking antifreeze around the water pump so will need to deal with that once this damn winter quits.
If that 6.0 is clean, no rust, body in good shape and any maintenance records, that might be a good rig for you. It has already lived longer then that Ford, oops can I say that.

Edit,
Looking again at your post. Is that motor a 6.0 liter? When I see 6.2 it brings memories of their diesel, I had one of those too, A bigger POS never existed. It even makes the Ford Modular series look good

Last edited: