Is my 98 Expy better offroad than a 2004 Expy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveplot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Then you should get that looked at...they arn't ment to rattle. The weather stripping probably needs to be replaced or adjusted.

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a good point. I am always worried that those guys are going to make things worse. But, how do you know unless you try?

Do your doors rattle on your 03? Mine didn't til it hit about 20K miles.

daveplot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My passenger did, there was a TSB for the weather stripping and door latch problem. They fixed it. I have 16k on mine now.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
DAMN_FORD - I have a Rancho Steering Shock. Easy install on my '98, although I do not know if it is the same on your year.

Also, have you thought about using one of those beer hats? It would solve your issue of lack of cup holders, and keep your hands free to keep your girlfriend, lets say "steady", while she is riding on the console.

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's the soulution! My girl friend and her two office mates can wear them too!

I will have to put the power seat all the way down to the floor for head room.

....One if these days I need to wake up back to reality.

exsport

Reaction score
I was only teasing about the beer. I spilled mine all over a couple of days ago. Are there any SUV's out there which come straight from the factory configured the way anyone would really want them for off-road? The Tires are the first object of question... then shocks, springs, ride height etc..
Just for fun, let me point out that my Excursion, which has solid axles, is not a great "off-road" vehicle. It is quite strong and solid... but that is also its shortcoming.. way too heavy for mud or bouldering. The solid axles are not why it sucks, but nor do they compensate for it.

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by exsport
I was only teasing about the beer. I spilled mine all over a couple of days ago. Are there any SUV's out there which come straight from the factory configured the way anyone would really want them for off-road? The Tires are the first object of question... then shocks, springs, ride height etc..
Just for fun, let me point out that my Excursion, which has solid axles, is not a great "off-road" vehicle. It is quite strong and solid... but that is also its shortcoming.. way too heavy for mud or bouldering. The solid axles are not why it sucks, but nor do they compensate for it.

I think you sum it up when you say the vehicle needs to be configured to your off roading needs. So the question is, is the expedition a good platform to start with?

I would say, for trail riding, it would be a great platform.

For rocky, or deep mudding not so sure. It may be expensive to lift that suspension for ground clearance, not sure.

Also, there is a choice between advance trac and limited slip (you can only get one or the other). If you plan to off road, get the limited slip. The advance track is meant for slippery roads despite the marketing. My Ford salesman buddy says it can't hold up in off-road conditions and you can't get the traction as advertised.